Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new battery to try and fix my cranking problem. It would spin over very slowly as if the batt. was dead. I jumped it using my lawn tractor and it spun over just fine, nice and fast. The new battery is doing the same thing. But heres the puzzler, the battery charger says its fully charged, and it will spin over fine sometimes, then other times it will barily crank over the first couple revolutions, then speed up. could the new battery i bought be defective? or do i have some other problem.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Check electrical connections. It could also be a starter soleniod going bad. Sometimes the starter brushes wear down and can cuase that symptom. Hopefully it is just a bad connection. Could be anywheres from the starter switch to to the key switch, hard to pin point it.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Ditto on niterider's comments. But for specific locations, make sure the positive and negative leads on the battery are firmly hooked up. THere's also a ground connection between the neg terminal of the battery and the frame, and another one from the ground wire coming off the starter itself that hooks up on the battery box, positive side. Check for any corrosion between the lead and the frame, and make sure the bolts holding each ground to the frame are nice and tight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a similar problem where it seemed to have trouble turning over. I ran an extra ground directly from the negative terminal on the batt to where there is currently a ground connected to the engine (from the frame I believe) and it solved my problem.
-Mak

·
Registered
79 Posts
I once had a battery charger that would indicate battery to be fully charged, when actually it was about 75 to 80%. After junking two battries I discovered the bad charger. It's rare but it happened to me.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked all the connections, and all seem good. cleaned all the connections and batt. terminals. Same problem. It seems to have trouble when its hot. I highly doubt it is the solenoid, because when I hooked it up to another battery, it cranks fine. also, I doubt it is a worn starter because the bike only has 7,500 miles on it. (and it cranks fine with another battery) I am leaning towards a defective charger. CLUES: the old battery that i took out, was so dead the lights barily lit up when the key was on, and the charger clicked off and said it was charged. It just seems like it doesnt have enough power to crank over. like a bad, or not charged battery.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
What does a voltmeter reading give you?

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
You have an 86 VN750 with only 7500 miles on it? WOW!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Put that battery on a different charger and try it. "Cheap things first" Also, will your bike battery crank your lawnmower??

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put that battery on a different charger and try it. "Cheap things first" Also, will your bike battery crank your lawnmower??
I have not tried cranking my lawn mower with the bike battery, hahaha.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have an 86 VN750 with only 7500 miles on it? WOW!
Actually, this is a problem on my 81 kz305. but still, 7500 miles is great either way.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What does a voltmeter reading give you?
When I hook up the meter, it says about 12.5. when i hit the starter, it drops to about 7.5 or 8.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just had a thought as to why it spins over slower when the engine is hot. I think that the rings and pistons are sweeling a TINY bit causing more compression when hot. So when you hit the starter, it has the build up the momentum to turn the engine. It spins over slowly about 2 times them starts to pick back up. could this be a possibility?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts