Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Triumph TIGER 1050 ABS/ body position

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  KIMMERLING 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok. I just went and test drove the Tiger 1050 ABS. It was very smooth, great breaking , and power. After 10minutes on it...my hands hurt and i felt like i was leaning forward. This is supposed to be a neutral position bike. Any body have experience with these? Is it something you get used to or will it never be the same as a cruiser. People say they can ride for hours and hours on the tiger...but I am not sure how they do it. Also, was looking at the Honda st but i hear they are hot and in Texas ..that won't be good. On the way out of the dealer..i looked at a Thunderbird Storm...seems nice. The triple cylinder is supposed to be awesome. One more thing, the clutch lever on the Tiger is like 5 times a stiff as my VN750...my hand was fatigued after a few blocks...is there a way of fixing that? Thats ridiculous that a modern bike has a stiff clutch like this oem.

#2 ·
I was really interested in BMW K100RS. Beautiful bike, all the accessories, really well cared for. But after a 15 minute ride I just couldn't wait to get off it. The riding position put all my upper body weight on to my hands and wrists and got really painful after just a few minutes riding. I really wanted to say yes to that bike but realized that I'd be regretting it in a couple of weeks. I have the 900 custom and while I'm comfortable on it I think that the 750 has a much more comfortable riding position.

#3 ·
The Triumph Thunderbird is an awesome bike. If I were to ever sell my 750 (NOT!) I would buy the Thunderbird.

#4 ·
I don`t have any real answers for you. Just a few questions to ask yourself and/or the dealer.

Is it possible to put a riser on the bars of the Tiger to lift and pull them back a few inches to achieve a neutral, comfortable position?

Does the Tiger have a cable or hydraulically operated clutch?
Is the clutch lever adjusted to the most comfortable position for you?
What is the reason for the stiff clutch? HD clutch springs? Improper lever adjustment? Or????

#5 ·
Sounds like you just have body parts used to cruiser riding and your other muscles need to adjust.

After I got my FJR the think actually hurt my wrists and forearms. Now I had ridden even lower barred race bikes for years, but the years riding the Vulcan got me used to that style and my body simply complained.

First I learned that I was holding on too tight...(a natural reaction to a 145hp cycle) and I found I was just leaning forward and not supporting my weight with my legs...as one is supposed to do.

I found that moving the bars out more, fixed the wrist problem, and spending time keeping my weight off my arms got the rest of my body back into shape. I now can ride hundreds of miles a day on the bike with few complaints.

You might want to google the "Yoda Riding Position" as it explains how to properly riding a bike.

KM

#6 · (Edited)
#9 · (Edited)
They make a touring version with fairing and hardbags?
Hate to ride that thing on a gravel road..guess I'd rather have the Tiger. The Rocket puts out alot of power...but there are alot of bikes that put out more..my FJR puts out 145 hp and is about a 100 lbs lighter.

They sound real cool though. And there are not alot around, so nice to have something different. Wish they'd bring back the CBX...........

Anyway, back on topic, they do make handlebar risers for most bikes, and getting an aftermarket seat that is a bit lower than stock can help alot too...
It does as I alluded to, help to be in shape. Laying back on a cruiser , with its Lazyboy position does little for rarely used muscles. (They call them "Lazyboys" for a reason you know...lol)

I think if I were to opt for a Triumph model, it be the Speed Triple R:
http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/2010_StreetTripleR_Overview_2010StreetTripleR.aspx

As long as I get to keep my FJR too.....

KM

#7 ·
Dude, That video is insane! I am amazed!
I was just thinking about the thunderbird. Kind of spendy though...if i could get a used one....

#8 ·
It is fun to dream though isn't it? I had a friend show me this around the first of the year .He told me that he found a bike that had my name all over it,The first time I saw the Roadster doing those power wheelies and rolling smoke off that rear tire at will ,I was hooked ,one of these days.......It reminds me of when I first saw a 455 SD Trans Am rolling smoke off both back tires at will.I know I don't need one ,but I want one,I really want one! And the list keeps growing.

#10 ·
The Triumph website is pretty neat in that you can pick a bike and add/delete options and it will show you what the bike looks like as you do it. I'd think all websites for all manufacturers should have a similar capability.
I really want a Thunderbird tricked out with bags and such. I'll settle for the non-big bore one.
They do sound nice and, as mentioned above, are different from the rank-n-file bike seen on the street. Definitely conversation pieces in a crowd.

#11 ·
Got rid of my 500 Ninja four months ago. It was really a fun bike but the riding stance brought on fatigue after about 20 minutes. I'm in my early 60's and I know that there will be no getting use to that forward stance. The Ninja 500 is a street bike so the turned down bars of a real crotch rocket is out of the question.

The lesson learned for me was the 500 Ninja was not an age appropriate bike fun though it was. The VN750 is the bike of choice for me because my body fits without too much debate.

#12 ·
Now, I am thinking about the honda vtx 1300 because of the dealer network and cruiser style.

#13 ·
Honda is trying to move some new leftover VTX 1300 '07s. The bike feels good for that size but my crotch was on the tank while sitting on it. The dealer wanted $6000 but for me the bike didn't fit. Good for a large bike in terms of balance and inseam (I'm 5' 9") but I hate having to stretch for the bars. Extensions won't help in this case.

Honda has gotten a little dreamy as far as some of the designs for their larger bikes go. They are building bikes to be seen on rather than bikes to ride.

#15 ·
thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.