Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent most of the afternoon reading through the Vulcan Verses and found this little tip from the Motorcycle Consumer News that deserves to be better known.

Triple the life of your fork seals by spraying where the seals meet the fork tubes with silicone spray.

It stated several riders in a local club bought identical bikes at the same time, some doing this, some not, some starting several years down the road.

Pretty much, statistically, fork seals lasted much longer based on how soon/often they were sprayed.

Interesting.
:smiley_th

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
wouldnt think it would hurt. we used it a lot when I used to install hurricane roll up shutters on beach homes in florida!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
That's a good tip Hoss. I'll get my can out to the garage tonight!

·
Super Moderator
11,819 Posts
I should point out here that there are alot of different brands of "silicone" spray on the market, and some of the ones I have come across contained different solvents. One or two of them could dissolve paint, and one had ethyl accetate in it... which reacts with some plastics.

So make sure to test whatever brand you pick up on something first before finding out it's dulling the paint on your fender or tank.

As mentioned before in another thread... It is always a good idea to wipe off your upper fork tubes before going out for a ride. Dead bug goo can dry as hard a glue and tear the crap out of your seals.

I use one of those nylon kitchen scubby pads and spray them with the silicone to wipe down the fork.

BTW..."Food grade" silicone spray is the safest to use I have found. ( I can get it through work) ... But still test whatever you choose.

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should point out here that there are alot of different brands of "silicone" spray on the market, and some of the ones I have come across contained different solvents. One or two of them could dissolve paint, and one had ethyl accetate in it... which reacts with some plastics.

So make sure to test whatever brand you pick up on something first before finding out it's dulling the paint on your fender or tank.

As mentioned before in another thread... It is always a good idea to wipe off your upper fork tubes before going out for a ride. Dead bug goo can dry as hard a glue and tear the crap out of your seals.

I use one of those nylon kitchen scubby pads and spray them with the silicone to wipe down the fork.

BTW..."Food grade" silicone spray is the safest to use I have found. ( I can get it through work) ... But still test whatever you choose.

KM
The advantage of years of experience shows once again. You point out many facts that I didn`t know KM.
The grasshopper bows to the master.:notworthy

I`m wondering if using wax on the tubes would be more efficient than silicone lubricant for preventing bugs sticking, and easier cleanup.??

·
Super Moderator
11,819 Posts
The advantage of years of experience shows once again. You point out many facts that I didn`t know KM.
The grasshopper bows to the master.:notworthy

I`m wondering if using wax on the tubes would be more efficient than silicone lubricant for preventing bugs sticking, and easier cleanup.??

Carniba type waxes, no. They are just too "thick" and would just get scraped off by the seal... Even silicone will slowly be "squeegeed" off some. But silicone itself is a smaller molecule than a wax...

Now there are some silicone based "waxes" that might work well. I use this stuff called Ice...it's a silicone/polymer wax that leaves no white residue and won't build up like carnuba waxes do.

There is also one out there that uses TPE? (Teflon) that might work too.

But again what really helps is just cleaning the fork tube where those 3-4 inches of travel occur often.

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There is also one out there that uses TPE? (Teflon) that might work too.
Thanks KM.
PTFE = teflon;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
you should refresh your fork oil yearly or at least every 2 years, silicone spray works wonders great for windows channels:smiley_th in your car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts