Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Eagle Riders 4146
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I hope everyone had a good winter and are ready for the riding season. I'm having a starting problem that I'm hoping for some suggestions to resolve.

I don't have a garage, and so I had to store my '03 VN750 outback. It was running fine when I parked and covered it for the final time in mid-November. The winter here in Kansas City was fairly mild with only a handful of days of really cold weather. I pulled off the cover and tried to fire it up. Nothing...not even lights on the dash came on. I presumed the battery would need charging after sitting all winter, and so I brought it in and hooked it up to the charger. I've got a simple charger with LED indicators (Problem - Charging - Full Charged). After I plugged up the charger it went to "charging" for about a second, and then immediately switched to showing "fully charged". I scratched my head and muttered "damn" then took it back outside. I reconnected the cables and made sure the switch was on "run", turned the key and hit the start button....still nothing.

I took the battery up the street to O'reilly to have the it tested (new last September - Super Start AGM MF Battery (220 CCA).) They told me they didn't have a way to test that type of battery.

1. I'm pretty sure the battery is not fully charged after sitting outside all winter even though the charger says otherwise. Is it possible that sitting for four months in 30 degree average temps that it caused the battery to go bad?
2. If the battery is good, and lets say it is fully charged, what would you suggest I check next? Hoping you have some simple suggestions that don't require taking too much apart. Again...it was running just fine when I parked it four months ago. Maybe the ignition or kill switch maybe?

Thanks, Jim

·
2,519 Posts
After 3 months I doubt your battery is charged. You should also invest in a voltage meter to make sure. Did you try jump starting it?

·
Super Moderator
11,859 Posts
(Actually 4 months shark)

Big mistake leaving it outside.....your battery is likely toast. If it wasn't the battery, I'd check the main fuse, but I'm pretty sure the battery has gone to battery heaven.
Getting a false reading from a charger can happen, but you should get yourself a new battery and a new charger. ..

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
You definitely need to load test that battery. If the battery is good and no blown fuses then clean your ignition switch, it's corroded in there.

·
Eagle Riders 4146
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, all. I'll try a jumpstart tomorrow, and see how that goes. If it fires up I'll be off to pick up a new battery, Knifemaker. I live in a 110 year old house with a very small backyard with no garage. I just bought the bike this past summer, and was thinking about paying for a storage unit for the winter. I wish I would've listened to myself. I've drawn up some plans for an insulated shed that I plan to start building in the next couple weeks. I'll be ready for next winter for sure! Thanks again!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
do you have a porch on this old house?

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
2,519 Posts
Well, you could have left the bike outside but brought the battery inside.....
I pull my battery and keep it on a trickle charger over the winter. No problems then when I go put it back in.

Reactions: Paulywog

·
Registered
292 Posts
Buy this battery: (its a Yuasa USA made AGM with a different label stuck on it). Then order a battery maintainer the terminals are in the exact correct spot and orientation for our bikes. Do NOT buy a battery by search for a part number as you will find subpar and chinese batteries still labeled with the number below.

via batterymart.com: USA-Made Motocross YTX14AHL-BS Sealed, Maintenance Free Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com
Motocross YTX14AHL-BS AGM Maintenance Free Battery

$59.95
Shipping: Ground Shipping: $0.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $59.95

In the off months remove your battery and keep it on the $24 battery maintainer in the winter. Your battery will last 5 seasons and always work when you need it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would think a series of things would need be checked...after battery ...new plugs...possibly spark plug wires too..air filter elements...gas in tank that might have gelled over ..pending how much you had in tank before storage...just a various check list...and if you dont have a garage ...wrap her up in blankets ..put two poly tarps over the blankets...and just once a week...make a visit ..start her up....hope you get it to run...as you stated....season just about to start...

·
Eagle Riders 4146
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just ordered the battery, gidaeon. I found the one you suggested on batterysharks for $33.50 including shipping. Supposed to ship within 24 hours. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts