Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Tri-state day ride, a success !

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Wolfie 
#1 ·
Hooked up with Vulcan2000, kc2dgq, and a fella from the other end of the lake I just met with an 800 Drifter.
Left Greenwood lake, NY and headed west through Warwick to Port Jervis, crossed the river into Pennsy, rode 209 (with slight detour) to Dingman's Ferry, crossed the river again into NJ over a tiny woodendecked bridge, Stopped for lunch at Gyps Tavern on Rt206 in Kittatinny Lake (hot lil barkeep !), then headed back to Greenwood. Ended up a 95 mile loop, and enjoyment was had by all !
Weather was great, traffic was minimal.
Thanks for coming up guys, meant a lot to me to get out in a group again. Gotta do it again some time !!! :smiley_th:beerchug::smiley_th:beerchug:

Possibly a video to follow by our new friend Ken.

#2 ·
I had a great time today. I left my house at 8:35 AM and returned home at 6:40 PM totalling 238 miles total for the day. Much thanks to Wolfie for the great ride route from his place and also thanks to kc2dgq for meeting me on Route 46 at Willowbrook Mall, the hospitality at his house and the guided tour up to Wolfie's and back to Route 46. I hit a few rain storms on the very first leg before the initial meetup and again on the final leg after setting out on my own. Five storms on the way up and one on the return. No rain during the main tour so that was excellent. It was a great ride and I am looking to head up that way again sometime soon. And yes, Wolfie, the bar maid was not bad to look at at Gyp's. She gave the trip a little inspiration and something to think about later. Sure wish more riders could have made it but there will be a next time.

#3 · (Edited)
Sure wish more riders could have made it but there will be a next time.

A holiday weekend is tough to get folks together, many have family/gf commitments...Next ride will be on an "open" weekend.
Long as Im still breathin' brother, you bet there will be a next time ! It really brought back some good memories from 30 years ago, when I used to hang/ride with a few outlaws...
If I plan another trip, will try to make it more centralized for all, at least the starting point. Im already putting together a Delaware ride, up through Jersey, then into NY, then back down on the Pennsy side. This'll be a longer one, so we'll do breakfast AND lunch on the road. Mebbe start somewhere near the Water Gap, go all the way to Narrowsburgh, and back down the other side.
Ken (merc45) put up a few vids on YouTube. I invited him to join here as a member, and he prolly will (really nice guy), but for now I dont think he'd mind if I posted the links to his vids.
This is the bulk of the trip from Gyp's back to Greenwood. 3 parts. There may be more to come, dunno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EUzaqyLDro&list=UU7CK8NK9T3kCPQWkVv_ShQQ&index=2&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PqzIH-7Oj0&list=UU7CK8NK9T3kCPQWkVv_ShQQ&index=1&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z90zHJXR4ys&list=UU7CK8NK9T3kCPQWkVv_ShQQ&index=3&feature=plcp

#4 ·
Hi all, Yep I got the drifter, thanks for accepting me in here. Tough sometimes to find other riders and so I am always open to join up with a few people, < 20 people is nice. Today was great - thanks. Those vids are the ones that are processed, I think I have 11 parts, takes a while to upload. Also still need to get mounting location and vibrations issues stamped out on the video camera. I did take some pictures that I did not know I was taking as well (im still new with the go pro) anyway I will upload those to photo bucket when I can.

Thanks all, A great day indeed, thanks it was great.

Ken

#13 ·
Just send a PM or general thread post for kc2dgq, wolfie, Mercury or myself and we will try to work out a date and time to meet up and ride. I would like to see these group rides set up for multiple dates and locations so we can get as many forum members together to meet face to face. It would also be great to have more than one group ride on the same day starting at different locations but meet all together at one preset destination location for lunch or what ever and then split back up for the return rides back home. We could have different groups coming from the north, south, east and west and the midway point for each group would be all together in one location for a gathering of sorts.

If anyone else is interested please speak up.

#6 ·
I had a load of fun just riding and enjoying the scenery. I am game for another ride whenever you all are planning one. I usually ride the North Jersey mountain roads alone, but it's always fun to have a group ride.

Wolfie, Thanks for the tour and the map as a memento....maybe one of these days you and Ken would come a bit south and meet me for lunch at The Mountain Rest.

Tom, It was a pleasure....I am grateful that you were willing to take the trip up north to ride with us. Sorry about the rainstorms on the way up and back home.

#7 · (Edited)
Anthony, a little rain is only a little water. I am thankful that I kept going through the early morning storms. I really wanted to ride and each time I hit another storm I wondered if this was the one that would break me and cause me to turn back. Riding home I just slowed it down a little and kept a closer eye on the crazy cagers. I was able to make up the lost time once I hit Rt. 287. The rain started on the way home when I got onto Rt. 46 and stopped as I was on the ramp for Rt. 80 but the roadway there was still pretty wet and sloppy. Rt. 287 was clear and dry so I just opened it up and got a little more full highway speed experience. Once I did make it home I was exhausted and sore. That Mustang seat is great but I believe I need a gel pad if I do any extended riding in the future and a set of highway foot pegs similar to what you have would help with the leg cramps. Could also be that I am starting to feel my age a bit as I will be fifty-nine on this coming Saturday. This last ride calls for another one sometime soon with the four of us and hopefully a few more riders. Thanks for including me in this one. It was a fun time and a true pleasure to ride with everyone.

PS Did your daughter ever make it up the tree? She was one determined little lady for sure.

#12 ·
Aw man, dudes! I'm hoping to ride with yaw soon some day. All I've been stuck with is city riding crap; in fact the only real excitement I get here is the FDR drive or the Bruckner Epway during non-peak hours. 'viewed all three vids and enjoyed all that scenery (BTW, that's the first time I've ever seen a Woodpecker) lol... I long for a day to ride with a group of fellow VN750's; over the G.W.Bridge throughout areas of upstate N.Y.; maybe even a few twisties... (sigh)... Ride safe... and thank you for the ride.
All we need is someone to show a little interest and we can set up a ride. Pick a day and contact kc2dgq, wolfie, Mercury or myself and we will try to work out a date that works for everyone. You don't want to do the city and I would enjoy a Sunday ride around Wall Street and the 9/11 Memorial and the old meat packing area. I have driven my cage through there a few times but it would be nice to do it on a bike without traffic on a Sunday. Kc2dgq has some great rides worked out in north Jersey with twisties and such or we can work out another location. We are just looking for more riders to join in with us. I hope to meet up and ride with you soon.

#9 ·
"PS Did your daughter ever make it up the tree? She was one determined little lady for sure. "

Not sure actually, but the jump rope is still in the tree...lol

FlacoLove.....I am 12 miles west of NYC. We got some really nice mountain roads and lakes to go riding around. You are welcome to head this way if you want.

#10 ·
vids and pics

Hi all... here are the pictures of the ride.

s376.photobucket.com/albums/oo206/mercury45/VN750%20Group%20Ride%205-27-12/

also the videos are somewhere on youtube.com/merc45

have a good one, Happy Memorial day

Ken

#11 ·
Welome to the forum and the family, Ken !!!...and thanks so much for the great vids and pics !...and thats definitely windshild flex causing what yer getting....youre now the Official Northeast Ride Photographer !

Im sore as heck today after the ride...my 2 upper ribs must be fractured...trying to stay away from the meds except to sleep.

#14 ·
Wolfie would know these roads I think... but palisades parkway can be pretty (traffic on it lately though). 7 lakes drive off 17 is nice, last time I went it was a little bumpy.

Also bear mtn is nice to ride through.

A longer ride would be to take route 97 up the Delaware, there's some nice roads up there, I heard there is a nice place to eat called rohmans just across the river from Barryville. Old time biker told me about it, I just never made it up there yet.

Erie Hotel in Port Jervis is also a neat place.

There are some bike nights at a place called the chatterbox, I like that place and its a great place to meet up for a start or for a finish of a ride.

I am away on business for a bit, would love to set up some rides but got to do the work thing.

Just trying to throw some ideas out there of things I know I wanted to try when time allowed.

Enjoy yourselves folks!

Kenny

#16 · (Edited)
A longer ride would be to take route 97 up the Delaware, there's some nice roads up there, I heard there is a nice place to eat called rohmans just across the river from Barryville. Old time biker told me about it,
Thats kinda what I was thinking on next....mebbe starting around Stroudsburg, PA to include riders from 3 states. NJ riders could start in Stroudsburg, meet up with South NY riders around Milford, PA, hook up with N NY and PA riders around Hancock, NY, then mosey down thru the Pocanos back to start. Looks like about a 200mi ride.
Been to Rohman's btw..... ;) :smiley_th

Breakfast in Milford, and lunch in Barryville.... yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

---------------------------------------------
Thought about the Marcus Dairy thing in Danbury, Conn also....or a daytrip to Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in Rhinebeck, NY.

#18 ·
Soon as we have a new member map, Im gonna start organizing/suggesting more rides. I know PA, NY, NJ and Conn fairly well as I used to be a land surveyor. I also rode with 2 different clubs (as a non member) that went all over the tri-state, and they sometimes had me plot their routes.

As for your patch, many Kawi dealers sell "Vulcan" patches (not model specific)...that'd be yer best bet other than a custom ($$$$$) embroidered one.

#19 ·
#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.