Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! I'm from Argentina, my english is poor and I hope you understand me.
One transistor (of the IC ignitor) brokes and I don't know how type is it, or code number, because it's erase. Somebody please can send me this info?

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Best of luck. I don't know either. The igniter is the one super expensive electrical part on the VN750, and as far as I know, it is a sealed unit, and is not repairable. I'm an auto mechanic, and have "black boxes" fail constantly, but I just replace them. Unfortunately, if the igniter failed on my Vulcan, all I could do is replace it as well. I have seen used igniter units on eBay for WAY less than a new one, but with parts like that it is impossible to tell if they are any good until you install them. Jerry.

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
Jerry, The ignitor is repairable, but as with trying to find the diode information... the only way for me to figure it out is to open it up.

If man can make it, Man can repair it.

As for figuring out the right Transistor... which one is broken. how many are inside the igniter?

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Jerry, The ignitor is repairable, but as with trying to find the diode information... the only way for me to figure it out is to open it up.

If man can make it, Man can repair it.

As for figuring out the right Transistor... which one is broken. how many are inside the igniter?
You could very well be right, I never really looked at it. Fortunately I've never had one fail. Is there a way to get them apart, or do you have to cut them open? I have found a lot of such parts completely molded into a solid block of epoxy. Jerry.

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
it is held together with plastic rivets, the same as the JB... all you do is drill them out, and then reseal it up with epoxy and rivets. it makes for a lot better seal than stock. after poping open my first JB, i was shocked to see how much moisture was allowed inside the unit because it wasn't sealed right. so I popped open the Ignigter and the RLU to find them sealed the same way... resealed with an epoxy and rivets... no word yet if this helped or not.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Badalari, you are not going to find the type information anywhere.

I suppose you are talking about a power transistor driving the ignition coil. The problem is that it could be a bipolar transistor (darlington most likely), a power MOSFET or an IGBT. Each of these have countless different types with different specifications. Then there are numerous different case styles. If you can tell the case style, I could suggest some types you could try, but the chances for them to work are still low. On the other hand, the worst that can happen is that you spend some money and end up where you started.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
jerry/slimvulcanrider/pappa:
ignitor have only 2 transistors for ignition coils, just want the transistors code!
please someone, open ignitor's case (it's easy!), read the impresed code in the transistor body, and send it to me!
mine are erased, that's why I want to know transistor's code! to replace it!
just want the code!!
tks!!!!

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Considering the age of the design, my best guess is that it uses bipolar power transistors. For a replacement I would try BU941Z. There are a few different case styles available.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
must be a TO-220 case transistor
That would be BU941ZT.

BU931 can also work??
Might not live long if the original transistor had an internal clamping zener like in BU941Z. Works just as well if there is external clamping. On the other hand, if there is external clamping, there is no harm in having internal clamping too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would be BU941ZT.

Might not live long if the original transistor had an internal clamping zener like in BU941Z. Works just as well if there is external clamping. On the other hand, if there is external clamping, there is no harm in having internal clamping too.

Ok pappa, thanks again. I will try with this BU941 and see what happens.
Regards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have an 86 vulcan 750vn and the transistors in the cdi box say D1071 on them i dont know if they are the same for your year model or not but i hope this helps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts