Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am looking at options for trailers to transport my bike for one of any potential reason that may occur.

Does anyone have an option on the usability of one of the Harbor Freight trailers and if they would be suitable to use for our bikes?

The one I am currently looking at is:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels-90154.html

once decking is put down, the bed would be 48"x96"
With as close as this is to the overall length of the bike, s this enough room to get it up and secured to move it safely?

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Rated for 1200 lbs so no prob. Nice unit. I had a piece o crap that i trailered my 1100 with. Bike was a 900 lb pig and the trailer did ok with it. You won't have any trouble with this set up.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet thanks.

Wheel choke, good idea. Hadn't thought of that...

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I got one like that one from tractor supply. It does the job for me.
By the way, that bike was like new before he hauled it on that trailer! ;) Just kidding!

It is good to add the front wheel chock like niterider did and tie the bike down with the side stand up and let the bike's suspension absorb all the shocks of the road. I usually cinch the straps up to where the shocks are compressed a tiny bit which helps keep the bike from skipping around on the trailer.

·
1,100 Posts
By the way, that bike was like new before he hauled it on that trailer! ;) Just kidding!

It is good to add the front wheel chock like niterider did and tie the bike down with the side stand up and let the bike's suspension absorb all the shocks of the road. I usually cinch the straps up to where the shocks are compressed a tiny bit which helps keep the bike from skipping around on the trailer.
LOL best thing I heard today. Ace Ventura Motorcycle Hauling, ha ha!

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
im glad i own a truck lol

·
1,100 Posts
im glad i own a truck lol
Lol, I do too now, but I liked putting the bike on the trailer better than he higher bed of the truck. There's always this 'woozey' point for me in the process , probably cause the boards flex under the weight of the bike.:drool:

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
How would ya get that bike into the truck bed? How would you unload it? Never done that before. Toss some ideas my way. Would ya load it up in the truck evil knievel daredevil style :) :) :) Have Loaded small dirt bikes with the help of 3 or 4 peoples.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Harbor Freight also has a few options for wheel chocks. Only trouble is you need to take them off if you're going to take advantage of the folding feature of the trailer.

My father-in-law has that same trailer, and he has used it quite a bit for hauling wood (he does custom woodworking/furniture building in his off hours). It's held up well over the 2 years he's had it.

Like most things Harbor Freight, if you're not planning to use the crap out of it, it's probably a good buy.

·
1,100 Posts
OldHipWesTex: How would ya get that bike into the truck bed? How would you unload it? Never done that before. Toss some ideas my way. Would ya load it up in the truck evil knievel daredevil style

Well OldHip, 1st I started using 2 long boards (2x8's) and with the bike running, feather the clutch with a little throttle and roll her up one ramp while walking up the other. That was what would give me the woozey feeling. Then I got a third ramp same length and used 'L' hangers. To drop it securely between the two other ramps that have the tongues on the end which lay on the tailgate. This way I can ride her right up the ramps with my feet on either side. Much better. I've done it evil knievel style but almost lost it once in the rain so that technique fell to the cutting room floor, lol.
Unloading is easy, especially with three ramps. Just roll her down, no power needed, and your done.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Shivers at the thought of my gril having to go thru all of that trama,,, egads! Think i would buy a small trailer too! Thanks for the ideas though Dave!!! Oooops i do have a small trailer.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
How would ya get that bike into the truck bed? How would you unload it? Never done that before. Toss some ideas my way. Would ya load it up in the truck evil knievel daredevil style :) :) :) Have Loaded small dirt bikes with the help of 3 or 4 peoples.
Here is one option.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-loading-ramp-kit/p2004720.jcwx?filterid=j3#Reviews Link didn't go to item. Click on link, then click on motorcycle header, then type in ramps. It is the $39.99 Industrial products motorcycle loading ramp kit.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Lol, I do too now, but I liked putting the bike on the trailer better than he higher bed of the truck. There's always this 'woozey' point for me in the process , probably cause the boards flex under the weight of the bike.:drool:
ya i bet. i bought the metal ramp

·
Registered
57 Posts
I HATE unloading out of a truck. Getting it up in there is not so bad. Its the backing out that gives me the willies! I just bought a flat bed big enough for a car. Works for everything around here.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I have a folding ramp that I have used a few times, and it has worked very good... I guess if the bike wasn't running it might be a problem loading via the ramp though...
My ramp is Alum. and 22"W folded and of course 44"W unfolded X almost 6'-6" long... Anyway it fits inside a 6.5' ext. cab PU...
If you have a slight ditch or a hump it is no climb hardly at all... Works for me anyway...lol...
Oh, and I wanted to ask, how fast is that bike on the trailer with the pony engine on the rear wheel, I'll bet that sucker will really do a burn out...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Whenever I pull a trailer, I pay attention to the amount of air in the tires. If you just run trailer tires at their maximum sidewall pressure, they can beat your precious cargo to death. I really can't tell you how much to reduce the pressure, because it depends on the load rating of the tire and the particular load you are carrying.

*********Warning, this is just what I do, if you de-rate/flate YOUR tires, well, you're on your own.

For example, on my F-150, with no load, the appropriate tire pressure for the particular tires that I have on the rear is 24psi. At this pressure, there is an even contact patch, and if I run the pressure higher, the midde of the tire wears out. The pressure on the door sticker says 32psi, but this is at max gross weight, and the max inflation pressure on the tire is 44psi. In my case, when empty, I am running at 54% of the max inflation pressure of the tires, and probably carrying about 40% or so of the tires maximum load rating. From my limited sample size of one tire on one vehicle, there does not appear to be a linear relationship between pressure requirement and maximum load, at least not with a Y-intercept of zero. In any event, when carrying a heavy load or pulling a trailer, I always pull over after a while and check tire temperatures to make sure they are not getting hot. Wow, I hope I didn't go to far off topic!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Trailoring Vulcan 750

I just rented one from U-Haul for $14.95 for 24 hours. It was a regular motorcycle trailor I guess no more than I need one that is the cheapest way to go. I don't have to try to find a place to keep it, or license it, or insure it.

Mcneuby :smiley_th

1 - 20 of 29 Posts