Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bearcat
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been designing a travel trailer and hitch set up for my bike in my head for a while now. Got some mods to the bike on the agenda too to make her a better tourer. Basically I won't to be able to load the bike up and just go or Maby take the bike grocery shopping. I already use it for next to everything and I can haul anything I can get a bungy cord around:)

Today while filling up a guy on a trike rolled up and he was pulling a trailer. My wife thought I was nuts becouase I went over and asked if I could check out how his trailer was made. My initial designs were pretty close to what his production trailer but he had no suspension. The wheel hubs were mounted to tubes that came strait down off the frame.

I posted here cause it ain't a topic normaly discussed with our bikes but I was wondering what kind of set up outhers on here have run or heard of. I'm digging the simplicity of the solid axel and I had decided for the cupples hitch to cut and box it and weld a sealed bearing onto one side with a nut and bolt threw the outher to hold it together. This would aloe for the bike to lean white the trailer stayin upright.

The frame would be a simple box platform made from tubing. The hitch would mount to the swing arm of the bike. I'm going with fiberglass for the body. Strong and light:).

Thoese were my thoughts on how to set up a trailer on my bike:) any one got any suggestions or have a trailer they pull with their bike.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
My son bought an aluminum (small box type) trailer for his RK to carry his & the wife's golf clubs in... He has only used it a few times but he said he had to change the straight back exhausts due to the sound bouncing back, he put some turned outs on it for that reason... He said it made a difference... Just Sayin...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Bearcat
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My only problem with aluminum is that it's hard to weld with a non shielded welder. Ill be using a stick or wire welder for the fab work depending on whitch one I can barrow. I was going fiberglass for the body becouase it would be Easyer for me to sculpt and build. I don't have access to a lot of metal working tools outher than a welder, hammer and grinder. I know with these 3 u can build most anything but I like to do things the easy way:).

That's some good advice old dog:) depending on how things sound I might be doing a little exhaust work once the trailer is made.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Since you want to mold your own fiberglas, do one of these. A bike pulling a car! I bet fiberglas materials are quite expensive these days, it wasn't cheap back in the day.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
The biggest WARNING!!! Is do NOT mount the hitch to the swingarm!! all motorcycle hitches I have ever seen mount to the frame of the bike,Even automotive hitches don't mount to the rear suspension,That is a recipe for disaster. Go to Hitch Doc or Chucksters customs and look at their hitches and fab up a reasonable copy of their design since you probably won't find one for your bike ready made.

Check out GCextreme's home built hitch on here.I think he even builds and sells some stuff,he might be able to "hook you up",pun intended. :p

I also like the trailer with the car top carrier.A lot of people buy the small Harbor Freight trailer and put the carrier on it and ,voila,instant motorcycle trailer.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I think I remember the "vulcan 750 pulling a trailer" subject being discussed before....

How well would the VN750 do pulling a trailer?
How much weight would it handle?
What would be the downsides of pulling a trailer?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Just a quick question; How does the 750 charging system handle the extra trail/brake light voltage draw. Noticed the marker lights also.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Just a quick question; How does the 750 charging system handle the extra trail/brake light voltage draw. Noticed the marker lights also.
If you set up the trailer with all LED lights, the extra draw would be minimal I would think.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Here is GcExtreeme's Trailer Hitch

and HERE is AMSOILMAN's trailer hitch

Yep that my bike and my old trailer....ive made a new one since that old one well apart on me...but it lasted 4 yrs..i was able to reuse the axle and leaf springs and hubs tho.
My new one is just a solid steel frame with wire mesh base and a travel carrier very similar to the black one in the pic above..

Also Amsoilsman bike isnt even a vn750?! Or am i wrong?

The vn750 has no trouble towing a lightweight trailer but it does affect gas mileage.

And no i am not making or selling the tow hitches, sorry....i had this one made at a local wedling shop.

For pics and more go here

http://www.gcextreme.com/VULCAN750/Hitch/index.php

Heres one pic

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Yeah ,that is a 750 with a 1500 Classic or Nomad rear fender and what looks like a Goldwing fender or the tour pack fender for the 750 from Kaw ,on front,which is pretty rare.I don't know about the seat on the 750.

The plum colored bike is a 1500 drifter.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
[quite]

Also Amsoilsman bike isnt even a vn750?! Or am i wrong.

Heres one pic
[/QUOTE]
Yes Amsoilman's bike is defiantly a VN750. If you search his scream name you will find a few topics of him modding his bike such as the drifter fenders, trailer hitch, and fairing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Ok got ya....well in that case his hitch setup wont really work for anyone else with a stock vn750 rear end then....??

In Algona last year at the Freedom Rally, i did see another vn750 and it had a hitch similar to mine, it just didnt have the upward supports...

I swore i posted pics of that guys bike...cuz his black paint job with sweet blue flames was pretty awesomr....will have to search for where i posted that at...

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Ok got ya....well in that case his hitch setup wont really work for anyone else with a stock vn750 rear end then....??

In Algona last year at the Freedom Rally, i did see another vn750 and it had a hitch similar to mine, it just didnt have the upward supports...

I swore i posted pics of that guys bike...cuz his black paint job with sweet blue flames was pretty awesomr....will have to search for where i posted that at...
yes it will.. he bought a hitch designed especially for the VN750, he then modded the 1500 fender to hide his hitch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts