Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this this afternoon but I can't find my post. But does anyone know if I can put a trailer hitch on the 93 vn750? If so, do they make one for the bike?

Blessings!
Rich

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
With enough steel and a welder, you can do about anything. I wouldnt recommend towing a trailer with the VN though. Its just really not set up for it. A hitch needs to sit fairly low, so you'd have this buttugly thing hanging out in the air below your fender. You CAN change to a more suitable fender though. The Vulcan has enough umph to pull a trailer, but be prepared for premature clutch failure especially if toting a passenger too. The bike is a cruiser, not a tourer (tourers= full fenders, wider tires, and larger engines). But again, as I said, "have welder will tow"...I seriously hope you decide not to though, IMO those things are dangerous.

http://www.customcruiserchrome.com/product/76

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Many Goldwing riders tow trailers, and it's their business, but I wouldn't even consider it. It might work fine out on the open highway, but it would totally destroy the handling characteristics of a motorcycle, and in traffic, that near miss that most riders have had so many times wouldn't be a miss anymore. The ONLY advantage a motorcycle has over a car is it's maneuverability, and a trailer would completely destroy that.

I would even go so far as to say that towing a trailer with anything other than a semi tractor is a bad idea. They are the only vehicle specifically designed to tow a trailer.

·
Registered
399 Posts
is towing a boat behind a GMC yukon xl a bad idea?

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
According to some folks, apparently it is. Since I don't have a semi, guess I'm stuck pulling my utility trailer with my pickup.

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
You can pull a trailer with a bicycle.

The list of things Jerry would and wouldn't do is getting longer. Don't do an earshave, don't add more lighting, don't pull a trailer. You don't need both discs in front and you don't need a sidestand switch. Don't alter the stock exhaust and lord or lord, don't use K+N filters... ;)

Jeez, just answer the poor guys question......

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I think AmsoilMan added a trailer hitch a few years back. I don't remember every thing about the process, other than it was pretty cool when he was done/

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I think AmsoilMan added a trailer hitch a few years back. I don't remember every thing about the process, other than it was pretty cool when he was done/
Didn't GCextreme add a hitch and build a utility trailer also,not real sure, it could have been someone else

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
My personal opinion is that towing a trailer would change the normal bike ride characteristics and would take some getting used to. If someone was to choose this option then I would hope that they do a good deal of practice riding with the trailer before attempting any long rides. Also I would think that a properly engineered production hitch would be better than "a lot of steel and a welder". Besides all that, I would make sure the electrical system was capable of handling the added drain involved with a second set of lights on the back of the trailer.

I would not say it is impossible but it is more involved than just welding or bolting a hitch on the back. Once again, my personal opinion, when I ride I try to get away from most things and do not want to carry a full load of extras with me if not fully necessary.

With that said, if you do decide to go with the hitch I would surely like to see the final setup and hear your opinion as to the results. Good luck no matter what you decide. After reading all the opinions given here always remember that opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has one and most of them stink anyway. Make your own decision and enjoy whatever you decide to do.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Well Swagman beat me to it with gcextreme`s hitch thread link.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16332&highlight=trailer

But notice that Amsoilman has a post in there where he introduces his hidden hitch.

Hidden hitch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys I had listed a topic about the hitch myself and Glenn designed and built.Hidden hitch. Glen built for me out of stainless he had around and her is a pic of it.Works great as I have hauled in 3/4 bike weight in delivery.Trailer weighs in at 87 #. I just didnt care for all that steel hangin on a bike. You can buy a hidden hitch for like $400. Way to high for my needs..All LED lights.Hitch on table is the $400 one.Again Thanks Glenn Moorehead..Yes member .. and a good friend.
Everyone Have a safe and For filling Holidays.
Amsoil man

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad275/amsoil-man/

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
You can pull a trailer with a bicycle.

The list of things Jerry would and wouldn't do is getting longer. Don't do an earshave, don't add more lighting, don't pull a trailer. You don't need both discs in front and you don't need a sidestand switch. Don't alter the stock exhaust and lord or lord, don't use K+N filters... ;)

Jeez, just answer the poor guys question......
You did get all that stuff right. The "earshave" thing would be fine, if it weren't for the K&N (filter?). The bikes electrical system will not handle much extra lighting, especially high wattage lights designed for extra headlights. You could probably cover it up in LED marker lights. Nearly 50,000 miles of riding without one has proven that you don't need but one front brake, just like experience has proven that using a car tire, which would seem to be a really bad idea, actually does work. Safety switches designed to prevent you from doing something dumb are unnecessary. They are like training wheels on a kids bike. Learn to ride right. The stock exhaust was designed by engineers. It is a precision made system, has been tested and proven to work. If you want more noise, get an aftermarket system also designed by an engineer.

As for towing a trailer with a bike (towing a double track vehicle with a single track vehicle), sure it can be done, and if you never had to make an emergency maneuver, would probably be fine. But get caught is a sticky situation, and it is going to hurt. Hard to believe even the ATGATT people do this one. If you are going to do it, at least wear all the gear, because your chances of crashing just went way up.

Of course it is ok to pull a trailer with a pickup or car. It is not as safe as not pulling a trailer, but nothing is completely safe. I used to tow a trailer loaded with quads and dirt bikes with my pickup all the time. But you do have to realize there is a trailer back there, and your vehicle is not going to drive the same. Acceleration, braking, turning, and backing up will all be adversely affected.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Methinks I'd rather add a sidecar and turn that into a trailer/storage...at least its pretty much under the rider's control (I had a sidecar on my Triumph)....can also double to give yer mom-in-law a ride to the Country Kitchen All-you-can-eat Buffet....lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts