Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks!.. I invested in a tow bar for my bike.. and now I am having second thoughts....I think it might be fine for short trips.. but, what if I wanted to tow it from Detriot to Daytona?..I know I'll be putting miles on the rear tire, but, am I gonna wear out her wheel bearings and god knows what else?.. please help... thank you,,

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
as far as wear goes, I would think the rear tire would see minimal wear, no more than normal riding of that length, probably much less. the tire will have less weight on it (no rider), as well as NOT needing to transfer any power from engine to ground. also, cornering forces will be minimal

wheel bearings, same, for most of the same reasons

I would be more worried about the idiots who cant see pass their hood, and dont realize there is something sticking a few feet farther out behind the van

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
While that may be a good way to move your bike short distances ,Since it is a shaft drive, I would be leery of pulling it very far at all.your rear wheel is going to turn the shaft and the bevel gear into the transmission and whatever it turns in there. I don't know how the bearings in the trans are lubed whether by splash from the dears running in the sump or pressure from the oil pump.Regardless there are going to be bearings turning in there with no oil flowing over them.

If you had a chain drive bike removing the chain would allow the rar wheel to spin independent of everything else.Also with the bike at the angle it is the rear drive gear may not have enough oil to lube it. I wouldn't pull mine like that except for an emergency for a short distance. I would have bought a small utility trailer off CL or out of the classifieds for my use and you could use it to haul other things too, If storage space is a problem Harbor freight sells folding models that take up very little room. JMO.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
While that may be a good way to move your bike short distances ,Since it is a shaft drive, I would be leery of pulling it very far at all.your rear wheel is going to turn the shaft and the bevel gear into the transmission and whatever it turns in there. I don't know how the bearings in the trans are lubed whether by splash from the dears running in the sump or pressure from the oil pump.Regardless there are going to be bearings turning in there with no oil flowing over them.

If you had a chain drive bike removing the chain would allow the rar wheel to spin independent of everything else.Also with the bike at the angle it is the rear drive gear may not have enough oil to lube it. I wouldn't pull mine like that except for an emergency for a short distance. I would have bought a small utility trailer off CL or out of the classifieds for my use and you could use it to haul other things too, If storage space is a problem Harbor freight sells folding models that take up very little room. JMO.
X2 Some bevel gears (like in our rear) aren't cut in such a way as to run in reverse well. Don't know about our bikes.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
X2 Some bevel gears (like in our rear) aren't cut in such a way as to run in reverse well. Don't know about our bikes.

X3, the bearings inside the case should be ok, although the pulp would not be running, the angle the bike would be sitting would allow the oil to occupy the rear of the case, covering the trans bearings. I would be concerned about the rear drive.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
The teeth on the rear gears have a drive side and a coast side. They would never be stressed in reverse just by towing/coasting.

Trans should be lubed by rotating gears. Long distance towing a shaft-drive though, I'm not sure.

If those orange straps are what I think they are, I won't trust them as far as I can throw them. 12" long crease in my tank to prove it.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
The teeth on the rear gears have a drive side and a coast side. They would never be stressed in reverse just by towing/coasting.

Trans should be lubed by rotating gears. Long distance towing a shaft-drive though, I'm not sure.

If those orange straps are what I think they are, I won't trust them as far as I can throw them. 12" long crease in my tank to prove it.
if you do decide to tow LD I would put some "noodles" (pool floats) covering the straps between contact points.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Also, the rear tire should see increased wear in the center, due to all the miles and never leaning over. Same principle as 'chicken strips' (crotch rocket term for unused tread at the outer edges). As in, "How wide are your chicken strips?"

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
if you do decide to tow LD I would put some "noodles" (pool floats) covering the straps between contact points.
The ones I'm talking about just break in mid-span. Not even close to their rated strength.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
If you absolutely must tow it that way...stay at 55mph or under...also, overfill the air in the rear tire a bit....less friction drag that way...

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
HTML:
Hf, $10 4 pack?

Yuuup! Seemed like they were $12 though. cheep cheep Straps break, pins break, ratchets lock up, handles fall off. They might be ok for hanging turkey.

Overinflating might ensure wearing the center tread off.

You might check some Goldwing forums and see if there are any suggestions for towing a shaftie.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tow bar

Thanks folks for the replies... I'm gonna scrap the tow bar a get a trailer.. I had second thoughts about it.. and yall confirmed them.. thanks again..:beerchug:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks folks for the replies.. I'm definatley scrapping the tow bar and getting a trailer

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Well, dont just scrap it....its perfect for bringin a parts bike home from the local salvage yard and such, ya know ?

Too bad yer so far from me, else Id think of buyin it from ya....I get LOTS of bikes from salvage yards, lol....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts