Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here so I am probably repeating a subject. My 2005 VN750 is hard to start in the morning. I have to full choke it and not touch the throttle. When it starts it idles on choke untill it warms up. At takeoff it kinda bogs down untill I get rolling. I can open the throttle and it will take off, but it just isn't crisp. I have only had it a few weeks. I first put in low grade fuel untill I read it needed high octane. I got a pint of octane booster and poured in a little in a half tank of fuel and went and filled it up with high octane. It didn't make much difference. I bought new plugs and installed them with no difference. If I crack the throttle on startup it takes forever to get the choke no choke combination down so it will start. I thought about taking the carbs off and going through them. Any thoughts?

·
1994 VN 750
26 Posts
First thing is that you do not need high octane, 87 is just fine. Our bikes do not like to take off cold, let her warm up first.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I almost always start mine with the pseudo-choke on (its not really a choke)...after 30 seconds, I go to half...then after 2 mins, turn off and ride (mines 27 yrs old and modded)....only time a VN will start no choke is with a new battery, iridiums, and all else stock...Ive done it cupla times w/o, but it was 90 degrees out...
Hard starting oft signifies contaminated fuel...try some SeaFoam for a tank or two...

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Sounds like your carbs may be lean at idle. Check the idle screws- count exactly how many turns it takes to seat them (clockwise) and write it down. If they were less than 2-1/2 turns out, back them out to 2-1/2 turns. If this does not help, then you may need to pull the carbs off and check them out. Dirty pilot(s) can cause hard starting. I ended up installing one size larger pilot jets, and I only need choke to start when cold, and then for about 30 seconds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts