Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question hot off the press...

I am in the process of putting some V&H Cruzers on my 750 and came across a problem...rust. Rust on pretty much everything I need to take off to change the pipes.

I called a local shop and asked if they could help me out. They said it would run me $135 to get the new pipes on. Another $225 to tune up and get ready for spring, and a another $15 for inspection sticker.

I just bought this bike used last August and had this same shop give me a tune-up (another $225 back in August). Also I had a some oil coming out of one of the fork shocks and had that repaired (roughly $400). I am now starting to feel really ripped off. So I wanted to pass this on to you guys for your thoughts.

Is $135 reasonable to put the new pipes on? Should I just go and find some PB Blaster and a ratchet set and do it myself? Also, is $225 a reasonable cost for a tune-up?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi,

That sounds pretty expensive man! i would do it on my own, remember you got great people here that can help you during the process.
I had to change my pipes pnce too, and i had a lot of rust, in fact i broke all the bolts that holds the pipes to the manifold and i was a pain in the rear to fix.
Here is a few advice that i learn from doing this:
- your pipe should be warm before you remove the nuts and bolts.
- if you break them, use a "channel lock" tools to remove them out of the manifold (also use a torch to warm it up)
- use kind find the bolts and nuts a any auto store.

My two cents

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
You had a "tune up" in August, and now you think you need another one?

Jeez, those guys at the shop must love you. Do you even know what a "tune up" consists of for the Vulcan?

I think most here would agree that all that is needed is an oil and filter change every 3,000 miles and if one did have a "tune up" it should last a good 20,000 miles before one needed another.

Do the pipes yourself and stop wasting money at a shop that is obviously taking advantage of you.

KM

·
Registered
659 Posts
$225 is just a bit high for an oil change.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YUP, that's what I thought. This is my first bike and I have never had experience with bikes before, so I had no idea what to expect. I remember last year feeling really ripped off by these guys and then this year when I called I got that same feeling again (you know the feeling, the hair on the back of your neck raises a little). Now I know that they are rip-off artists. Thank you all for the confirmation.

Can anyone suggest an affordable set of tools to get the job done right?

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts

Do you have a Harbor Frieght near you? If so I would go there to look for afordable tools. They are OK in quality (keep in mind they arent Snap-on or Mac) I like them for the fact that if I break or round off a socket I can get another for a buck or two.

Peace :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Sams club has a Channel-Lock tool set that is awesome with nearly every wrench you could need, SAE and Metric, for about $65. Walmart sells Stanley sets that are really nice quality for the price too.

I would soak it at least a couple days ahead of time with PB blaster and do warm up the bike to normal op temp before you start trying to pull the acorn nuts off the exhaust. Good luck and we're pulling for ya!

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Put liquid wrench on all the rusty bolts and let is soak for a few hours.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Put liquid wrench on all the rusty bolts and let is soak for a few hours.
That's what I would have said a few months ago. Heard so many good things about PB Blaster here I went out and bought a can. Haven't used it yet, but these guys really like it.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
As they say "Rip me off Once, Shame on You. Rip Me off Twice, Shame on Me"

I like my Metrinch set. Works on both sae & Metric, so only one set of tools needed.

YUP, that's what I thought. This is my first bike and I have never had experience with bikes before, so I had no idea what to expect. I remember last year feeling really ripped off by these guys and then this year when I called I got that same feeling again (you know the feeling, the hair on the back of your neck raises a little). Now I know that they are rip-off artists. Thank you all for the confirmation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was easy...

Well I said 'screw it' and took off from work a couple hours early this afternoon and went home to put the new pipes on.

3 hours later they are on and sounding mean. I think my neighbors are going to hate me but its worth it!!!

Thanks to you guys I didn't go to the local shop and get royally ripped off, and thanks to Stan I now have a new shop to take my bike if all things work out.

I really appreciate all the help you guys have given! :rockon:

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
I thought I was the only other human with a Metwrench Set! I love mine too, it is really a nice tool set.

Way to go fixing it yourself, it's amazing what you can do with a little help from here! I have learned a lot!

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Nice job, and now think of all the cool stuff you can buy with that saved repair money. ;)

(or more tools for future repairs and savings)

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Another question hot off the press...

I am in the process of putting some V&H Cruzers on my 750 and came across a problem...rust. Rust on pretty much everything I need to take off to change the pipes.

I called a local shop and asked if they could help me out. They said it would run me $135 to get the new pipes on. Another $225 to tune up and get ready for spring, and a another $15 for inspection sticker.

I just bought this bike used last August and had this same shop give me a tune-up (another $225 back in August). Also I had a some oil coming out of one of the fork shocks and had that repaired (roughly $400). I am now starting to feel really ripped off. So I wanted to pass this on to you guys for your thoughts.

Is $135 reasonable to put the new pipes on? Should I just go and find some PB Blaster and a ratchet set and do it myself? Also, is $225 a reasonable cost for a tune-up?
To save money on your next tune up,add Seafoam and install NGK Irridum DPR7EIX-9 plugs and a Deka/Big Crank MF AGM battery. This will last 3-4 years. Then take the extra $90.00 and have someone break your mechanics knee caps! LOL :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Nice work! Just keep asking around here first and someone is bound to have done it before you. I give these shops the benefit of the doubt. They're trying to stay in business and there are plenty of folks out there who wouldn't lift a wrench and will gladly pay those rates. That's probably why there aren't too many garages that have knowledge about our bikes. We have this forum and do most of our own wrenching!:beerchug:

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
knee caps I'll do it for 19.99 .....
This isnt bike related but car related i recently started a fix it buisness and if i charge half of a dealerships repair rates (flag hours and parts) i make 150 dollars an hour and this is having to learn the entire job were dealerships know the bolts tools and tricks... granted i dont charge 150 an hour I'm just pointing out what i found....

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
I bought my metwrenches over 20 years ago and they are still like new. Until this thread never heard anyone talk about them let alone see someone who had a set. On my flight to San Diego today I was thumbing through the SkyMall catalog and wouldn't you know it, there were the Met Wrenches for sale! Small World.

Also saw someone riding a VN750 on my way to the hotel! You don't see them on the road much even though there are thousands and thousands of them out there.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts