Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many miles ya'll have on your bikes and if any
major problems. My wife's bike (04) seems to be a lemon. 26,000
miles and lots of extensive work on clutch and engine. And now
the radiator is leaking.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I had 80,000+ on a '93, bought new, only problems I ever had were a sticking float in the rear carb when the bike was only a few months old, the toolbox door broke off, and the chrome caps fell off the swingarm pivots. Toward the end, one button came off the seat.

I currently have 43,000+ miles on an '02, so far the only problem has been with the cam chain tensioners. The originals failed, I replaced them with brand new Kawasaki ones, they too failed, finally went to manual tensioners, and all is well.

I glued the chrome caps on before they had a chance to fall off, and learned to just not use the toolbox. It is designed to break if used.

Oh, one more thing. The left grip on both bikes would not stay in place, it kept sliding off. I finally glued the one on the '93, and replaced both grips with foam ones on the '02. Overall, they have been very reliable bikes. I did have to do the spline lube thing on both of them way sooner than the manual called for, apparently Kawasaki never lubed the final drive splines on most of the Vulcan 750s they built. Jerry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
42K miles on a '86.
Cam chain tensioner replaced with manual.
Fork seals.
Clutch.
R/R.
Stator.
Stator.
And stator.

Runs great!!!!!

Mo.

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
51000 miles now, 2006 model. Had four big problems this year:

Stator
Water pump seal failed
Clutch wore out
Cam chains

Plus two (or was it three?) sets of tires. Ridden about 18000 miles this year. Still three more days to go!

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
36000 on an 86 carbs and stator, regulator

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
91 30k
3 engine pulls in 2 yrs
stator
shift shaft (split cases re rung and replaced dampeners )
stator
mechanical seal
stator

·
Registered
93 Posts
'04, 5600 miles

When new it would overheat sometimes. Turned out some hose under the tank was pinched
Jets gunked once up from lack of use
Toolbox lock fell off

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Wow. I am amazed at all these problems. I guess I've just been lucky, and the Vulcan 750 isn't as reliable as I thought it was. Jerry.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
I have 04 with 10,000 miles, New RR, white wire started to melt before relocation, lost tool box lock at about 2 months, went to mauel cam chains tensioners, no other troubles at this time.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Wow. I am amazed at all these problems. I guess I've just been lucky, and the Vulcan 750 isn't as reliable as I thought it was. Jerry.
compare all of these problems to those of similar makes and models and what do you come up with? and if you notice... its mostly the same problem over and over again... Stators, Cam Chain Tensioners, Final Drives, Ballancers, and Seals... all common wear and tear items... other than the stator... which shouldn't fail as often as most... but this problem isn't just a VN750 problem... its a prone issue with many makes and models of bikes...

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Out of 44 motorcycles I have owned, I have only had to replace one stator that I can remember, and it was on an early '80s ('82 I believe) Suzuki GS850, which was also known for stator problems. But you didn't have to pull the engine to replace it. I do not have nearly as many miles on any of those other bikes as I do on Vulcan 750s. I have 43,000 miles on my '02, already have the MCCTs, lube the splines on a regular basis, have replaced the tool box door once, and no longer use it. I guess I have just been lucky on the stators.

Still, three stators in a row? That seems a bit much to me. Since I ride my bike on a regular basis, I'm hoping to avoid the balancer thing, but if I have a stator fail, I will replace the damper while I'm in there. I was planning on replacing the stator with a genuine oem part if it does fail, is there something better available, or have so many had repeat stator failures because they used inferior parts? Jerry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts