Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for a new rear tire . Do you have any idea how a torque this nut down with the exhaust in the way? I can get a box wrench on there, but it's going to be hard to get a torque wrench on there. What have other people done?

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I'd just use the box end wrench, tight enough to not come loose. A specific torque number isn't so important there.

Otherwise, you'll have to remove the pipe and torque it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd just use the box end wrench, tight enough to not come loose. A specific torque number isn't so important there.

Otherwise, you'll have to remove the pipe and torque it.
I didn't think about this at the time of posting, but the axle bolt needed to come out as well. I removed the right passenger peg and was able to rotate the exhaust down enough to get the bolt out.
I removed the left passenger peg, but the left/rear exhaust didn't want to rotate as easily. I think I have enough room to torque the suspension nut, but not quite enough room for the axle nut. I can always get close to specified torque by putting X weight Y feet away from the bolt head.

Good news: this is my first look at the splines since purchasing it. I trusted Scooter, and he was true to his word! The splines look great!

I should have the new tire (Shinko Tourmaster 230) later today.
That's what I have in the front.
I wasn't a fan of the old tire. It felt loose in the corners. Not sure if it was due to age, or just how the tire handled.
My previous bike had a Shinko 777 in the rear, and it was always rock steady in the corners.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I like the tread pattern on the 777 versus the 230, and the 777 has a higher weight rating. Was happy with the 230 though, the rear went 6000 miles.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really liked the 777, but my front had a defect and lost chunks of rubber. Shinko refunded me. I bought a replacement locally and they didn't carry the 777. They recommended the Tourmaster 230. It doesn't feel quite as good/smooth/precise as the 777, but still satisfactory. They're supposed to last longer than the 777s. My front has 4k on it from this bike, but it's the wheel/tire from my old bike. I think I put 3-4 k on it then, so 8k total? I'll have to check.

Agreed with the 777 tread pattern. Looks great!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
230's are a good tire, 777HD are great. I'm running a 160 777 on the rear. Looks good and I'll never come close to the load rating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts