Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need one, so...

Harbor Freight has them on sale for $14.95.

Worried about their quality.

So what do you use/recommend?

Thanks

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
X2 with Knifemaker. I started using a Harbor Freight torque wrench after my Craftsman busted. Note to self: don't use a torque wrench as a breaker bar, dumbass.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ive never used a Harbor Freight TQ wrench. But the way I see it you get what you pay for. Some things from Harbor Freight are ok, however I would not rebuild an engine with a TQ Wrench from there.

X2 on placing the TQ Wrench setting back to the miminum TQ after use.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
/\ What ifixf18s said---
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
ifixf18s;191444p said:
Ive never used a Harbor Freight TQ wrench. But the way I see it you get what you pay for. Some things from Harbor Freight are ok, however I would not rebuild an engine with a TQ Wrench from there.

Right, you've never used one but believe that they are no good....;)

I've own one and think they work fine.

Gee, who to trust here? Lol

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

I have a 1/2" drive torque wrench from Princess Auto, a discount chain here in Canada, similar to HF I believe. I picked it up several years ago at a half off sale for ~$20. It works just fine for the few times a year that I need it. If I were a professional mechanic who used it every day or even just every week, I may feel the need for a higher quality wrench costing 10 or 20 times as much. For now, I am happy with this one. :) I think I bought it when I was rebuilding the heads on a 350 small block Chevy.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
I have the same one and have used it for years without issue. X2 about setting it to zero when not in use. If the bolt/nut in question is very critical I will reach for the $250 one in the toolbox but the cheapie works very nice for 90% of everything I come across in my garage.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Depends on what you want it for. If it is something non critical, like an axle nut, I don't even use one. If it is critical, Snap-On is the only way to go. I have three. About $1000 worth retail. I didn't pay that much but still paid plenty. If you really do need a torque wrench, you need it to be accurate. I have special padded cases for mine. Like any other quality tool, they should last a lifetime, several lifetimes actually.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for the input!

I ended up getting the Harbor Freight 3/8 one.

On sale for $14.95

Clerk pulled out a yellow flyer that had a coupon for it for $9.95!!

I know you get what you pay for, and that is my expectations from HF.

But hey, I've spent more and gotten less.

Thanks again.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts

I didn't see where it stated that they were no good... But I will add that to find out that somethings are no good, can cost a pretty penny, a torque wrench is one of them...
And you know, it's kinda hard to reach your hand back inside an engine after everything is back togather to check if something has vibed lose, or stripped, or whatever, not like a nut or screw on the outside of something...
I have 2-In. Lb. & 2-Ft. Lb. torque wrenches and check them every once and again against each other... It is also best to use the mid range on the wrenches, they sometimes are not as accurate at the extreme Min. or Max. settings and as KM stated be sure to relieve the tension when storeing...
When you look at hand tools made in china & some other countries vs US or Japan made tools you can see the difference, you don't have to be a rocket scientist...
The worst I remember seeing was a sledge hammer made in africa, it looked like a turd on a stick, I guess it worked alright for what it was used for...lol...
JMHO, others will differ ...

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
I didn't see where it stated that they were no good...
No, but he inferred it. My point was just if you do not have any knowledge of something the best thing to do is keep your mouth shut.

I own the specifically asked about wrench, and although I too have seen some really bad tools come out of china, this particular one actually seems to be well made. The steel is heavy and fit is tight, the numbers are easy to read and it comes in a crush proof case...

I tested it against my Craftsman wrench and both seem to read the same... So it's as accurate as the high price model.

I too got mine on sale for 10 bucks and knowing what I do now would have paid more.

Just because something is inexpensive does not mean it's not as good. Look at all the owners here of the cheap little 750 that Kawasaki made....LOL

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I have just returned from china-mart where I picked up a compact pistol cleaning kit... When I opened the pack the first thing I saw was the top photo, need I say more...
Here is a prime example of some things made in china...

Now all I need to do is make a return trip to china-mart...lol...

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the input!

I ended up getting the Harbor Freight 3/8 one.

On sale for $14.95

Clerk pulled out a yellow flyer that had a coupon for it for $9.95!!

I know you get what you pay for, and that is my expectations from HF.

But hey, I've spent more and gotten less.

Thanks again.
Just remember that a torque wrench is completely worthless if it is not accurate. I can pretty well judge torque just by feel, it's only when I need serious accuracy I get out the torque wrench.

BTW, being a 3/8" what is the upper and lower range, and is it a click type or a beam type?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jerry,

it is a click type.

5 - 80 ft/lbs.

+/- 4% accuracy.

I'll be using it for the spline lube procedure and when I change the front brake pads.

I don't think I would use it without checking its accuracy on anything engine related.

It is a Pittsburgh Pro, Model 807.

Thanks again for all the info!

Kevin

·
Banned
448 Posts
If in doubt, compare it next to a name brand. If you know of someone who has a name brand torque wrench do a side by side test.
I have both a 1/4 & 3/8 from HF, and have had no issues with them. I send them off once a year to have them calibrated. I have a lot of end wrenches from there, and have never have one break or bend.
I have a rollerbox full of tools, and 80% are from HF. The other 20% is from Snap On.
Depending on what I need and what I use it for, is where I go to get it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
How did that harbor freight torque wrench work for you? I am about to do the same things you are and am in need of one.

Thanks!

Jay

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Actually, I used a torque wrench on my Vulcan 750 for the first time ever just a few days ago, to tighten the clutch pressure plate bolts. Didn't want to risk one coming loose, or stripping out the threads in the aluminum hub. I've done the spline lube procedure 7-8 times on this bike, and never found anything I needed a torque wrench for. All the threads are steel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have an old 1/2" drive that still works fine down to 10 lbs and picked up a Schwaben 3/8" drive from Sears.com that goes down to 5 lbs and comes in a nice plastic case. I wanted something that felt more accurate in the lower end for things like spark plugs @ 10 lbs.
I would also recommend adapters 1/4 <- 3/8 <-> 1/2

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
for the money this is the best one I found!!!

oh man, my sides are hurting, LMAO!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts