Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been filling my bike's tank via gas can since I got it a month ago. Just made my first trip to the gas station. The way the pumps cut off, I found it really difficult to get to a full tank. I blipped the lever a dozen times or so but it still looks like it only got to about 80% full. Are there any tricks or techniques to getting a full tank? Thanks!:BLAM:

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I dont let the pump lock on, Have had one stick and not shut off spilling gas all over my tank. Then I just watch and go slow.
Its less than 3 gallons.

·
239 Posts
Same as Ccspinner here.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
It is a little deceiving when the tank starts to get full.
It seems like you're at the top, yet it suddenly seems like it's not filling up as the fuel goes in, then next thing ya know, it's so full that when ya close the cap some gets forced out !! :doh:
Not that I know that from experiance, uh, that's what I've heard others say !! :blah:

And some nozzles don't like to pump a small amount. They go nearly all or nothing !! I hate them ones.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
It takes practice. I use a slow steady fill. I try to take it to perhaps 1/4" from the top of the lip. The gas guage will go past the "F" line that way.

Be careful when it hits the bottom of the filler neck, go real slow from there up.

Jon

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
First off, I never just stick the nozzle in the tank. I hold it so I can also watch the gas flow. Gas shuts off once the level reaches the tip of the nozzle so the tip is just at the bottom of the neck area. Once the initial shut off happens I raise the tip a little and do the slower spurts and let the gas fill the flatter top of the tank area.
I've managed to do 3.5 and 3.624 gallon fills this way (yeah I know.. that was cutting it REAL close!)

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
same here , i never stick the thing into the tank and never lock the pistol. it is not that big of a tank. as it fills up i gradually reduse the flow. i must admit i'm not obsessed with trying to fill it up to the wire, IMO the few extra squirts you can put in there are not worth the risk of fuel cap pushing the fuel out.

also make sure that the pistol is in contact with the tank during fillup. i guess it is not that important for our little tanks but the habbit stuck with me from the days when we had to fill hundreds of gallons into an Armor. the static build up becaouse of the friction in fuel hose is dengerous so everything had to be grounded during fill-up

·
Registered
659 Posts
I am still trying to get an owners manual. I am bidding on one on EBay right now and hope to get it. What is the total capacity of the tank, and how much of that is in the reserve? I have run into the reserve several times and the most I've ever put in is about 2.7 gallons.

JoeM

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, folks. I should mention I live in Calif. and the pumps here require that there be a seal between the gasket on the nozzle and the fill tube before the pump lever will engage. I wish I could hold the nozzle up for a visual but doesn't seem possible out here. Do any of you have that same problem?

·
Registered
699 Posts
the black piece around the fuel nozzle...hold that back with one hand while sqeezing the trigger with the other, that will solve that problem

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kewl! I will do that next time. Thank You very much.:beerchug:

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the tank holds approx 3.5 gals. but I'm not sure. The answer must be here at vn750.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
3.5 is if you run it bone dry.... i have never filled for more then 3 gals before though... although i didnt hit reserve. I stick the nozzle in the tank and run it 3/4 blast untill i fill to 2 gallons, then i run it at minimum for the pump (point where gas just starts to flow untill it looks full. Also putting the bike on the sidestand vs the centerstand helps get a lil more in

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Of all the things we'd wished Kaw had changed over the years, a little larger gas tank could have actually been done without great effort. Just one more gallon would make a huge difference to me in my riding style.

Jon

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Of all the things we'd wished Kaw had changed over the years, a little larger gas tank could have actually been done without great effort. Just one more gallon would make a huge difference to me in my riding style.

Jon
Isn't that the truth!

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
Amen to the bigger tank, I'm looking forward to picking up my VN1600 this Friday, that monster has a 5.5 gal. tank and is supposed to have 200+ mile range :).

·
Registered
198 Posts
I avoid gas stations that have that stupid big black piece of plastic around the nozzle. I also try to put the bike on the center stand but I can't do that by myself. Too heavy.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
One other issue is that if you have a California bike, make sure you don't over fill it. If you do, raw gas can get into the additional antismog equipment on the bike and cause hard starting or other damage to the system. If you go to Kaw's website and put in the VIN, it will tell you if you have a California bike. I ended up with one even though I'm in Texas. It's just another thing to deal with.
As for level, I only fill up to about 1/2-1/4" from the bottom of the filler neck. I used to fill higher but then fuel seems to get pushed out the gas cap lock and makes a mess. Aue de Gasoline cologne doesn't go well at work.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I avoid gas stations that have that stupid big black piece of plastic around the nozzle. I also try to put the bike on the center stand but I can't do that by myself. Too heavy.
It's all technique. Push the center stand peg down and forward, pull the bike up and backwards using rail next to seat. Doing all of this at the same time, the bike will just jump up onto the centerstand.

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
There should be a short video of the technique in the gallery unless Cegodsey deleted it in his fit of pique.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts