Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
BUMP. Just bringing this back to the front for new members to see.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Newbies--A sip out of a firehose

BUMP. Just bringing this back to the front for new members to see.
My thanx to OlHoss and all who contributed to this thread.

This is an excellent thread. I'm in the process of acquiring my 'new' 1994 VN750 (I hope to have it tomorrow!) and found this thread very helpful.

As already suggested, it's probably a good idea to create a new 'sticky' thread in the New Members area.

There's a LOT of information on this fourm. For some newbies its like taking a sip out of a fire hose . . .:drool: What to do first????

My thanx to all!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe any time you get a new used vehicle you should change all the fluids #1 Then you have a starting point.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
BUMP. Bringing this back to the front again for new members.

Thanks for the kind words FlaRider. I`m glad you found the info here helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Like several have said the list would be different depending on whether it would be specific to the VN750 or all bikes in general.

My #1 would be the same on any used bike, change all the fluids and filters.
2 would be to inspect every inch of the bike, making sure all nuts and bolts are tight, no cracks or splits in tires, no leaks etc.
3 On any shaftie bike, check the lube on the drive shaft splines.
The rest, not in any particular order would be to check all the electrical connections, clean and dielectric grease them; get an MF battery, download the shop manual, and start reading as much as you can, here, in the Verses, get a Clymers manual, read that, and most importantly ask questions here.

Sometimes some of us take a jab at a newbie who asks a "newbie" question, but over all, I think most of us are patient and understanding with all the new folks. Heck, we all started somewhere. I doubt anyone here would consider themselves an expert on this bike, although there are several folks here who really know their stuff about this bike, but the forum as a whole is the expert. You can find out anything you want to know about this bike by asking here. Someone has been there--done that already.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think that`s a pretty good summary fergy. thanks.

·
Registered
707 Posts
i cant think of any different on here but i would suggest that #1 should be take the msf basic riders course before you consider buying a new bike.... unless you have taken it already then do all the stuff you want to and take the advanced riders course so you can get used to your bike.. other than that ride it till your break it so you can fix it and ride it again!!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
In an effort to be totaly useless here, as I think we covered the top 15 or 16 things more than once, I give you the.. " TOP TEN things you would suggest a new owner do to his new ride"

10. Wash and wax the thing until your hands bleed.

9. Go to every motorcycle forum you can find and ask "What Oil should I use", then use Rottela T no matter what they all say...

8. Fill your tires with Halon. This works just as well as nitrogen, but if you bike catches fire you can slash a tire and put it out.

7. Never let the gas tank get below 1/2 way...

6. Give it a real cool name.... Like " Zargon"

5. Engrave your phone number on every part of the bike, so if it is stolen, the thief can call you and thank you.

4. Practice jumping on the bike from the rear like cowboys do on horses....

3. Tell every one that engine is actualy 2 times the real CC figure...750? no it is a 1500..and it is a Hemi....

2. Go right up to the bike and shove it over..real hard ...this will end your nervousness about dropping it later.

And the number one "thing you would suggest a new owner do to his new ride"
is...

1, Make sweet sweet love to it.

KM

·
Registered
950 Posts
This will be a great sticky thread for new owners and potential new owners. I would have like to seen some of this when I was doing research for the 750 before I broke down and sold my baby ninja. The spline thing especially. Cuz I wouldn't have rode all last year without doing it. Now Im hoping i dont have to replace the spline. cuz that just means less quality time with "Zargon".
I wish i had my first bikes tires filled with Halon, cuz that one burned to the ground the first week I had it. ooohhhh. that gives me a tip for the list
#11 replace all the fuel lines with new hosing. Its cheap and easy. cuz let me tell ya these bikes get warm, but that was a little too warm. (check my pic out at ninja250.org user name Jace Bror or http://tinyurl.com/cfqcyq

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
In an effort to be totaly useless here, as I think we covered the top 15 or 16 things more than once, I give you the.. " TOP TEN things you would suggest a new owner do to his new ride"

10. Wash and wax the thing until your hands bleed.

9. Go to every motorcycle forum you can find and ask "What Oil should I use", then use Rottela T no matter what they all say...

8. Fill your tires with Halon. This works just as well as nitrogen, but if you bike catches fire you can slash a tire and put it out.

7. Never let the gas tank get below 1/2 way...

6. Give it a real cool name.... Like " Zargon"

5. Engrave your phone number on every part of the bike, so if it is stolen, the thief can call you and thank you.

4. Practice jumping on the bike from the rear like cowboys do on horses....

3. Tell every one that engine is actualy 2 times the real CC figure...750? no it is a 1500..and it is a Hemi....

2. Go right up to the bike and shove it over..real hard ...this will end your nervousness about dropping it later.

And the number one "thing you would suggest a new owner do to his new ride"
is...

1, Make sweet sweet love to it.

KM
Man, that cracked me up!

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
My thanx to OlHoss and all who contributed to this thread.

There's a LOT of information on this fourm. For some newbies its like taking a sip out of a fire hose . . .:drool: What to do first????
If the MSF is done, your geared up, and the bikes ready then the first thing to do is take a ride. She'll tell you what she needs. When she raises questions post them here, I promise you'll get answers. Just make sure you post them in the right place or KnifeMaker might shoot you while you sleep...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, I'm just doing a bit of spring maintenance to my bike and happened on this thread while doing searches. I'm honored to have had a small role in starting it. I think I'm going to do the voltmeter and R/R stuff soon. I've been spending a fair amount of time on a "project" bike, a 1971 Triumph TR6R. But I still lurk around here and post when I can't figure out some simple thing that anyone ought to know :) Thanks to all who contributed--this will be great for new guys!

·
scooterboy
69 Posts
After pages of posts I didn't see the duct tape trick on the inside of the toolbox cover, The only one knifemaker didn't get on his list. Bought my bike new and still have everything I siliconed on on it. I haven't had to come home and look at it and say Aw Sh*t where did I lose that.

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
After pages of posts I didn't see the duct tape trick on the inside of the toolbox cover, The only one knifemaker didn't get on his list. .

My first post now edited to include taping the hinge on the inside.

Sorry I forgot about this one, as I removed my toolbox long before the hinge would have gone out.

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well folks, I started sorting out the suggestions here into several different lists. They start out very general, and apply to all riders of any style or make of motorcycle. I then start narrowing it down, with reference to specific categories. I`ll just outline the 4 or 5 lists that I think will cover what we started out to do. If anyone has suggestions for improvement to what I propose, please speak up. I can use any and all help I can get to make this as useful as possible to current and new members of the forum, especially to those brand new to motorcycling and attempting their own maintenance, service and repairs.

Proposed titles for the lists:

1. Things a new rider, or one returning after a long absense from motorcycling, should do, or acquire;
-This would include such things as MSF and refresher training courses.
-Second area would be protective gear.

2. Things that an owner/rider of any motorcycle needs to learn, or do to the bike..
-Become familiar with items common to all motorcycles, and how to do a preride check of items such as controls, tires, wheels, lights etc.
-Change all fluids.

3.Things that need to be checked and/or serviced on a Liquid Cooled Motorcycle.

4. How to dentify what type of final drive your MC has; chain drive, belt drive, or shaft drive.
-Learn what service and adjustment needs to be performed on the final drive of your particular type and model.
-The vn750 has a shaft drive, and all shaft drive motorcycles need regularly scheduled greasing of the driveshaft and final drive splines with a high moly content grease.

I think all the suggestions we have recieved over the past several months can be accommodated within this framework of 4 lists. If anyone thinks we need to add another list , or has an alteration to the phrasing I have suggested, please post it here. I`ll be the first to admit that I need an editor. ( If a few of you want to volunteer to read the lists over before the final posting on the vn750 scribed site that slimvulcanrider set up for us, I would be very pleased). I think the scribed site is the best place for it. We won`t have to keep bumping this thread back up to the top for new members to see, with all the repetition and redundancy. The final version will be as brief as possible, but as long as it has to be to remain comprehensive.

Thanks to all who have contributed so far, and who will in the future as well. OlHoss

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Nothing new in the past 24 hours? Have we got all the issues covered already? If you have thought of something else, speak up. We need your ideas too.
I don't think any body mentioned watching out for blue haired little old ladies Driving Buicks around bingo parlors on Thursday night and KFC after Church on Sunday ,Quite possibly 2 of the deadliest combination's of circumstances known to bikers in general,makes me glad I am a Christian when I find myself in either of these situations!!!:doh:

·
Registered
411 Posts
I don't think any body mentioned watching out for blue haired little old ladies Driving Buicks around bingo parlors on Thursday night and KFC after Church on Sunday ,Quite possibly 2 of the deadliest combination's of circumstances known to bikers in general,makes me glad I am a Christian when I find myself in either of these situations!!!:doh:
Those and people flying down offramps in their cages while talking on their cell phones and moving across three lanes of traffic without looking or signaling and attempting to merge their SUV with your trusty steed. No, I'm not bitter...

--FA

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Just bumping this back to the top for waggy.

I will get a better organized version on a link over on scribed one of these days.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
"What are the TOP TEN IMPORTANT ITEMS a new owner of a vn750 needs to check or do, to make his scoot as safe and reliable as possible?"

Well after reading all over the forums Here is the list that I came up with.

1-Take it to Lance328 and have Him fix it for You
2-Take it to Lance328 and have Him fix it for You
3-Take it to Lance328 and have Him fix it for You
4-Take it to Lance328 and have Him fix it for You
5-Take it to Lance328 and have Him fix it for You
6-Take it to Lance328 and have Him fix it for You
7-Take it to Lance328 and have Him fix it for You
8-Take it to Lance328 and have Him fix it for You
9-Take it to Lance328 and have Him fix it for You
10-Go out and Enjoy Your Ride.

That about covers it doesn't it :D

21 - 40 of 77 Posts