Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon, while riding with my buddy(owns a Road King). I found myself cruising along at 90 mph. He decided to take off and show me what the harley could do and not being the kind of guy who likes to eat dust,I went after him. Well I stopped the pursuit at 105 mph on the speedo when the carbs started to cough. .........Ok I know not too smart:BLAM: but these things happen.

Question is.....has anyone else experienced this type of carb action at high speeds? The bike runs fine at all other times and I really have not accelerated to such a degree very often.

·
Registered
699 Posts
80 was my limit...getting old lol

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I routinely cruise at 75 -80 (speedo says?) and hit 85 - 90 during a pass.
Don't know how much more it has?

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Yesterday afternoon, while riding with my buddy(owns a Road King). I found myself cruising along at 90 mph. He decided to take off and show me what the harley could do and not being the kind of guy who likes to eat dust,I went after him. Well I stopped the pursuit at 105 mph on the speedo when the carbs started to cough. .........Ok I know not too smart:BLAM: but these things happen.

Question is.....has anyone else experienced this type of carb action at high speeds? The bike runs fine at all other times and I really have not accelerated to such a degree very often.
Real question is, where you gaining on him? :motorcycl

Jon

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
115mph is about the tops FLAT OUT For a standard 'UK MODEL' (8,500rpm) if you have no faults, and especialy if you have after market pipes etc. I WOULD SUGGEST HAVING THE BIKE DYNOJETTED THIS WILL SET IT UP PERFECTLY FOR EACH CYLINDER(AS THERE ARE SLIGHT DIFFERENCES BETWEEN CYLINDERS) AND ALL REV. RANGES. MAKE SURE YOU FIND A GOOD FIRM TO DO IT AS THEY VEARY.
WELL WORTH THE MONEY.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I've only had mine up to, as indicated by the speedo, 105, maybe 110.
I didn't really want to spend too much time looking at anything other than the road at that speed.
Felt like the bike could've had a little more in it, but not much. Although it didn't start coughing or spuddering.

This is one reason I don't really want anything more than what the Vulcan has, power & speed wise. If I know the bike will do it, I'll probably try to do it. That got me no drivers licence for 12+ years when I first started driving a car.
(never even had a chance to re-new my first licence :doh: )

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
i hit 115 with a huge windsheild on. never experiance the carb issue... sounds like they may be draining... try the gas vent hose. also try some sea foam

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Do you think it's possible your rpm's were at a point that the rev limiter kicked in and caused the sputtering?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
There is a Rev limiter? I have been up to 115 and havent seen one.
Front end gets a little shakey at that speed though.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The IC ignitor won't let the engine rev over red line, it just bounces around it.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Guess I havent been there yet. Don't think I need to.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
115 is too fast for my blood. 90 is about tops for me. Again, it's the alergy to pain or the fear of pain that prevents me from seeing how fast this thing will go tempting though that may be.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I hit the age barrier at about 90, 30 years ago, I would have hit the bike's barrier.

Jon

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
The Rev Limiter On The Vn Does Not Cut Ignition Like On Dragsters And Sprint Cars All It Does Is Retard The Ignition, So From 8,500rpm The Higher The Revs Go The Less Power You Get, So When You Get To The Limit The Power Just Flattens Out, Smooth No Caughs Or Bangs.
Hope This Helps

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
Speed

Got mine up to 110 last summer when the highway I was on was unusually deserted, haven't been near that since. I start getting these flashes of what would happen at those speeds if a tire blew...lol, guess that's the 'age' limiting factor kicking in. I also felt like I was screaming the guts out of the engine at that speed. :wow:

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well guys heres some new info, last night I spoke with my buddy the Harley
rider and he also mentioned that at around 115 he experienced some hesitation in the carbs.So I can only assume that unless you get familiar with
the bike at those speeds and habitually ride up there, proper carb adjustments ie: jets etc. will be somewhat of a mystery. I guess Edelbris is correct in reccommending Dyno Testing if we want to ride at warp factor 5.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I start getting these flashes of what would happen at those speeds if a tire blew...lol
I was driving a tractor trailer that was FAST! only trucks around me I was in left lane doing over 100...then the same thing hit me..what if a front tire blew out...I would take out not only myself but others as well....I slowed down.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
IT'S NOT HOW FAST YOU GO THAT HURTS, IT'S HOW FAST YOU STOP.
i.e. FALLING FROM A GREAT HIGHT DOESN'T KILL YOU....THE GROUND DOES.
ONLY KIDDING..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts