Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Total Newbie
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do we think the top end speed of our bikes are through turns of all degrees? In other words, how much can they take? I'm no daredevil, but I'm curious how much you folks push your bike.

Take, for instance, something like this: http://www.her-motorcycle.com/images/curves2.jpg

I was on something like that today and I took it around 50 mph when the thought occurred to me about how fast I could have taken it. I mean, there's a maximum amount one can lean a bike or a maximum force before the tires slip out and you low side. But then I think about motorcycle racing and they take some very fast turns.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Our bikes don't do so well in twisties because the foot pegs drag. Long sweeping curves must be what you mean and I am looking for any upcoming comments to focus on that. I'd kinda like to know what people have been getting away with myself!

·
2,519 Posts
You know this is a cruiser right? The limit is equal to your riding skills...

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
im limited by them darn pegs grinding on the turns lol

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
You might have well asked "how hard do I squeeze the brake lever" lol

First, if your looking at your speedometer while going through a turn your doing it wrong already.

Every road and every turn are diffrent. You can hang off to the inside to counter the peg dragging problem but in general, you should only go as fast as you are comfortable with.

You can find your limits by taking the bike out onna closed track, but pushing it to it's limits on public roads is stupid and dangerous.

But to answer your question...55 mph. You should take all turns at 55 mph.;)

·
Total Newbie
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
shark88: Yeah, I know. I'm not trying to turn it into a sports bike. If I wanted one, would have bought one. I want a cruiser, but I also want to understand its limitations.

DACataldo/centurynick: Clearly you're leaning the bike more than I do because I don't think I'm anywhere near the pegs. Thanks, that provides some guidance.

Knifemaker: No, other drivers have already taught me how hard I'll need to brake. (Morons!) Fortunately, I have not skidded yet.

The 55 mph was a guesstimate - I didn't look down. I just know I was around 65 before the turn and slowed down before it. I do still look down and "think down" too much. For example, until the other day, I was still checking the RPMs before shifting. I've started using the sounds. And I do other things that need to become automatic but are not yet. Soon though.

I know. I remember the advice: "Don't override my skills." But you can't get better if you don't keep pushing yourself. So, I reach a bit at a time.

"stupid and dangerous" is a bit rough. I'm not talking about doing wheelies here. I'm not an aggressive driver, but one has to flow with traffic. If I'm going too slow and I'm slowing down traffic for no reason other than I don't know the limits of my bike, that too is dangerous. Ignorance can be as bad as reckless. Basically, I'm pushing the limits of my fears and skills, not the bike's limits. I think if you saw me ride, you'd realize I'm nowhere near the limits of the bike. I'm less than two months in and I'm still learning. Would you rather I not ask more experienced riders their thoughts on cornering? Would you prefer I just go test it myself? I'd love to have a closed track to play on, but that opportunity doesn't exist for everyone. So I go on fairly empty roads at light traffic times and I stay away from other cars.

I continue to value and appreciate the help you all share with me. :smiley_th

·
Registered
686 Posts
Our bikes don't do so well in twisties because the foot pegs drag. Long sweeping curves must be what you mean and I am looking for any upcoming comments to focus on that. I'd kinda like to know what people have been getting away with myself!
Sorry...couldn't disagree more. One of the things I like about this bike is it's nimbleness in the twisties...can easily out-maneuver my HD neighbor. Granted, it's not a sport bike but, IMHO, it handles twisties beautifully.

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
Sorry...couldn't disagree more. One of the things I like about this bike is it's nimbleness in the twisties...can easily out-maneuver my HD neighbor. Granted, it's not a sport bike but, IMHO, it handles twisties beautifully.
I agree Doc. I think it handles twisties great for a cruiser.
I would say that if I felt my tires start slipping on clean surface before I was draggin' pegs, I need to consider a new set of tires. I would be curious to know if anyone has had the tires break away without first leaning in past the pegs to make hard contact with the exhaust or frame. Any bike will skid at that point.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
i never felt mine slide and i do hit the pegs a lot . im not saying it wasnt sliding at all but she felt pretty planted powering through the corners .the little acorns have flat spots on them

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
"stupid and dangerous" is a bit rough. I'm not talking about doing wheelies here. I'm not an aggressive driver, but one has to flow with traffic. If I'm going too slow and I'm slowing down traffic for no reason other than I don't know the limits of my bike, that too is dangerous. Ignorance can be as bad as reckless. Basically, I'm pushing the limits of my fears and skills, not the bike's limits. I think if you saw me ride, you'd realize I'm nowhere near the limits of the bike. I'm less than two months in and I'm still learning. Would you rather I not ask more experienced riders their thoughts on cornering? Would you prefer I just go test it myself? I'd love to have a closed track to play on, but that opportunity doesn't exist for everyone.:smiley_th

Sorry, should have been more specific...pushing The Bike to it's limits on public roads is stupid and dangerous. Pushing yourself is fine. Your right, the bike is able to go further than you can, unless your Valentino Rossi. You only improve by raising YOUR own limits. Just take it slow and don't rush yourself.

Unless you have a fat tired sports car on your asss, you should be able to get through turns as fast, or faster than a car. From what you wrote... That seems to be your first goal.;)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'm 330 pound guy and I have yet too drag the pegs. I've got crouch rocket guys that call me crazy for taking some of our backroad hairpen corners at speeds they do and be blowing the horn while on they azz. Bike sitting still with me off to the side mine has to be WAY the heck over to get the pegs to the ground,, knee dragging asphalt over if you please. Haven't had to go that far yet. Maybe my size helps.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I agree Doc. I think it handles twisties great for a cruiser.
I would say that if I felt my tires start slipping on clean surface before I was draggin' pegs, I need to consider a new set of tires. I would be curious to know if anyone has had the tires break away without first leaning in past the pegs to make hard contact with the exhaust or frame. Any bike will skid at that point.
Yes, the VN750 does handle twisties just fine, but the question was HOW FAST can we take our bikes around curves. I used to ride a 1984 Yamaha Virago 750 and I could go around a circular highway entrance ramp so fast that the G-forces forced my jaw down/open while going around really fast. I can't do that on this bike without dragging the peg. But, now I might try it again to see what if anything I was doing wrong. I'd love to be able to do that again.

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
Yes, the VN750 does handle twisties just fine, but the question was HOW FAST can we take our bikes around curves. I used to ride a 1984 Yamaha Virago 750 and I could go around a circular highway entrance ramp so fast that the G-forces forced my jaw down/open while going around really fast. I can't do that on this bike without dragging the peg. But, now I might try it again to see what if anything I was doing wrong. I'd love to be able to do that again.
I hear ya' brother. The Virago was my first choice back in '91. I just couldn't quite afford it back then, and got the Vulcan. Still got a great bike, just not as shiney. :)

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
I tell you what, I've done a lot of leaning on the VN750, as well as on my VN1600. These bikes can handle a lot more than most riders can.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
I'm 330 pound guy and I have yet too drag the pegs. I've got crouch rocket guys that call me crazy for taking some of our backroad hairpen corners at speeds they do and be blowing the horn while on they azz. Bike sitting still with me off to the side mine has to be WAY the heck over to get the pegs to the ground,, knee dragging asphalt over if you please. Haven't had to go that far yet. Maybe my size helps.
I don't believe your physical size has as much to do with it as the ground clearance of where the pegs are mounted. I've dragged my pegs on the VN750 more than a few times, so I know it can be done. However, they don't have skid plates under them like my VN1600 does, because these floorboards are a lot closer to the road in a lean than the pegs on a 750.

·
Total Newbie
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today was the first time I had a chance to go out riding since this thread. I leaned a lot better and took the turns a lot faster. But how the hell you guys dragged the foot pegs is beyond me! Maybe your turn radius was a lot tighter or something, but I was nowhere near my pegs. :notworthy

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Today was the first time I had a chance to go out riding since this thread. I leaned a lot better and took the turns a lot faster. But how the hell you guys dragged the foot pegs is beyond me! Maybe your turn radius was a lot tighter or something, but I was nowhere near my pegs. :notworthy
The faster you go the more you have to lean. The bikes inertia makes it want to go off in a straight line, and the only thing holding it to the curve js the friction of the tires, and the balance between of that force and the weight of the bike/rider. The faster you go, the more the inertia force ... (that wants to stand the bike up)

So there is a point of maxiumm lean and a point of maximum "hold" of the tire. On the Vulcan the footpegs tend to touch before the bike reaches it's maximum lean....which is a good thing as it serves as a warning you are running out of available lean. Footpegs have little "touch down points" that are alot better to hit than starting to scrap things that won't give...

Even as an aggressive rider, I rarely touched down the peg. Once I learned how far I had on each side I tended to lean her just shy of scraping....

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...55 mph. You should take all turns at 55 mph.
Yaaa ?...come up here, and take a ride with me.... ;) *weg*...lemme hold yer wallet first...

The faster you go the more you have to lean.
Actually, "the faster you go, the rounder you get", according to the good ol' Grateful Dead anyway....(sorry...silly I know..but your reply begged for it)...

Really,....the answer to the OP, is.....................................
As fast as yer cahones will allow..........
Those whove ridden with me know, that I open it up on the straights, and whack way down on the curves....comes with age and KNOWING one's bike, and its limitations....what was that Eastwood said ?..."a man needs to know his limitations" ???...well, with ANY bike, its a combination of knowing both bike and pilot....

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
The faster you go the more you have to lean. The bikes inertia makes it want to go off in a straight line, and the only thing holding it to the curve js the friction of the tires, and the balance between of that force and the weight of the bike/rider. The faster you go, the more the inertia force ... (that wants to stand the bike up)
Inertia is a property, not a force...... perhaps you mean Centripetal force...

1 - 20 of 162 Posts