Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
If you are reffeRing to the dust seals at the top of the lower leg ,yes.. Good news is they are the same as the80's sportsters they are easy to find and cheap enough. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
if the dust seals are shot, you may also need to replace the oil seal right under it, due to dirt/water contamination.

good new is, you CAN change the dust seal without totally disassembling the fork (just have to remove it from the triple tree and slide it off the top), however the fork oil seal is another story.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
If you are reffeRing to the dust seals at the top of the lower leg ,yes.. Good news is they are the same as the80's sportsters they are easy to find and cheap enough. :)
He's right , I got lucky and didn't have to replace my fork seals. I'd say that would be the exception rather than the rule. But if you have no oil leaking and everything looks kosher once you pop the dust seals out , it's your call. The seals themselves aren't to pricey but it's the time factor tha gets you.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
agreed, if it looks ok when you pull the dust seal off (dry, no corrosion, or dirt) then you possibly can get by with just the dust seal. if you see ANY of the above, you probably should change the oil seal as well.

and as mentioned, not difficult in itself, just takes time and a cool head. if you need to change the oil or put in new fork springs, its the time for that as well (although they can be done without the oil seal being disturbed as well).

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
everything looks good on the fork. This bike has sat for a while and I think the boots just have dry rotted. Got to get the front brakes going first to be able to sit on the bike and see the condition the forks are in. I haven't had to rebuild these but I did on my CB900 so I know a little going in if I had to do that.

:pepper:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
92093 on that diagram should be the dust cover.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok that is what I thought but didn't know if that was them and didn't want to irder them and it be the wrong part. How are those put on?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
They just slide over the top of the fork tube and all the way down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts