Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks back from bot ban
I have a slight tap sounds like it's in the top end anyone else had this problem? It's my only transport at this time but don't want to tear up my motor and suggestions?

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
Ok folks back from bot ban
I have a slight tap sounds like it's in the top end anyone else had this problem? It's my only transport at this time but don't want to tear up my motor and suggestions?
Try to pin down where the noise is, could be the acct on a cylinder which is very common. There's some videos with that noise, which is usually louder than valvetrain noise.

Harbor freight has a low buck mechanic's stethoscope. Rubber hose held to your ear and placed on the engine in various places or a screwdriver handle pressed to your ear can help.

Touching areas to feel the tapping can help. Touch the ACCTs, valve covers, sides of cylinders, and those bolts on the sides that hold the timing chain rollers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will it mess it up worse if I keep riding it ? I just have to replace my front coil I noticed that I have a vacuum line off in between the two carbs I think it goes to the breather air box. But not sure . Was going to do an ear shave but I am doing my homework on it now. Would the reed valve maybe make a noise

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
Will it mess it up worse if I keep riding it ? I just have to replace my front coil I noticed that I have a vacuum line off in between the two carbs I think it goes to the breather air box. But not sure . Was going to do an ear shave but I am doing my homework on it now. Would the reed valve maybe make a noise
Spark can make a tap sound if it's arcing. Reeds have also made noise. Sounds like your reed valve system is unplugged from the vacuum source on the right side carb. There's a valve under the seat with the larger hoses on it, vacuum hose connects there.

It could do damage depending on how bad it's tapping. ACCT can allow timing chain to be too loose, and that can bend valves.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just had a bad coil. So I replaced it. I do have the big hose plugged because i cannit get a new one. That maybe the problem I will reconect that hose .
Just got the hose that comes from the rear cyl to the valve body now i will have more room to reconnect the big side hose and unplug it. So you say that the T between the carbs goes to the small vacuum inlet of the valve also correct?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spark can make a tap sound if it's arcing. Reeds have also made noise. Sounds like your reed valve system is unplugged from the vacuum source on the right side carb. There's a valve under the seat with the larger hoses on it, vacuum hose connects there.

It could do damage depending on how bad it's tapping. ACCT can allow timing chain to be too loose, and that can bend valves.
Thanks for the information ill check it out

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
I just had a bad coil. So I replaced it. I do have the big hose plugged because i cannit get a new one. That maybe the problem I will reconect that hose .
Just got the hose that comes from the rear cyl to the valve body now i will have more room to reconnect the big side hose and unplug it. So you say that the T between the carbs goes to the small vacuum inlet of the valve also correct?
No, the tee is the carb vents, goes into either air filter housing, must be in dead air space or it will cut out running.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the opportunity
No, the tee is the carb vents, goes into either air filter housing, must be in dead air space or it will cut out running.
I have replacem
information ill check it out
I tried to investigate where the noise is coming from, it really sounds like its coming from the gas tank,
I recently replaced the fuel petcock do you think it may have something to do with that? IE( vacume leak )i do have the big hose disconected from the valve can under the seat and pluged on both ends
a
Its the same noise as the lend me your ears video

1 - 9 of 9 Posts