Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

'I've been everywhere, man; I've been everywhere, man; across the deserts bare, man; I've breathed the mountain air, man; of travel I've had my share, man; I've been everywhere.' —Johnny Cash

Even for Johnny Cash, it would be a mighty feat to ride America's 3.9 million miles of highways, byways, avenues and alleys to get, as the song says, "everywhere." Although sometimes it may feel like we've traveled every road worth a ride, the biker DNA bubbling in our blood tells us there is, somewhere, the spectacular road not taken.

Not that we haven't tried to ride everywhere. Aside from a few heated water-cooler debates, varying levels of certifiable psychosis, polite differences of opinion and immeasurable variables of riding style, the staff at Motorcycle.com carefully considered its 300 or so years of collective biking experience and named these the Top 10 touring roads in the U.S., although no peaceable agreement could be made as to order, except for the fistfight averting alphabetical.

Print this, stuff it in your leather shirt, get off the couch and on your bike, and find some adventure.

More: Top 10 Best Motorcycling Touring Roads on Motorcycle.com

·
Banned
431 Posts
What!, the Blue Ridge Parkway didn't make the list....... I'm beginning to wonder if you guys even ride.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Am I beatin on a different drum here, or what...???
First, I think they took the touring bit too far, then wasn't it Hank Snow before Johnny Cash...???
Or could it be I didn't evolve, naw its a Sportster...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
It will never make any lists, but the best - the BEST - road I know of is Bonetti Road in California's Sierra Nevada Mountains. It connects Mormon Emigrant Trail to North-South roads (both are roads every rider MUST ride).

Bonetti has every feature that takes a road beyond the merely great into a truly legendary ride.

Remote.
Beyond ultra-twisty.
Covered with rocks and forest litter.
Less than one lane.
Trees and bushes growing into the road, leaving a space barely a bike wide.
Tremendous vistas.
Completely deserted.

Some times, it was hard to tell where the road was, the forest litter was so thick. One rider wondered if cannibal pygmies would jump out and get us, it was that remote. Bonetti is, in my view, the best road I have ever ridden. Goat trails just don't come any goatier.

As for wide open sweepers, eh, they're ok. Give me a goat trail, that's where the VN750 shines.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would have to place highway 89A between Sedona and Flagstaff on my list of top ten. Better known as Oak Creek Canyon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
NH Rt 112

I learned to drive on this road, and my brother lives right off of it. I can not wait to get up there on my bike. I have always thought it to be one of the most beautiful and enjoyable slabs of pavement that could possibly exist. It climbs, curves, banks, and twists like no other road I have ever been on. And the scenery is absolutely magnificent. I'm hoping to get up there this summer, or better still, this fall, when the best foliage in the world is putting on its fireworks show.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Print this, stuff it in your leather shirt, get off the couch and on your bike, and find some adventure.
What!, the Blue Ridge Parkway didn't make the list....... I'm beginning to wonder if you guys even ride.
How can you question their knowledge of motorcycle riding when they wear "leather shirts"? I am sure when they put on their full leathers they start with lederhosen. lol

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
None from West Virginia either?

Car and Driver got it right, they listed WV16. And then there's WV47, 33, 119, 68, 2, old US50, US50, all the roads running north/south on the eastern side, hell the slabs, I-77 and I-79, and even I-64, will keep you awake and interested.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
The pacific coast highway is a great ride
I live 1 block off of PCH; it is a great ride! In a few weeks I'm taking a trip up north following the coast. It should be fantastic. :motorcycl

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Pacific coast Highway is ok but I prefer something with more twists along with those long slow curves. Gainesville GA hwy 60 through Suches and up to Hwy 129 over Blood Mountain, past Brassy Knob and then through NC and then if I'm really in the mood for curves the Tail of the Dragon, almost too twisty for fun but lots of gentle areas too to relax between the hills. So many good roads up there like Moonshiner 28 that sometimes I just ride several hours turning down whatever road looks good and when it's time to head to the barn I turn on the GPS and use it to get me started back to the house.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Pacific coast Highway is ok but I prefer something with more twists along with those long slow curves. Gainesville GA hwy 60 through Suches and up to Hwy 129 over Blood Mountain, past Brassy Knob and then through NC and then if I'm really in the mood for curves the Tail of the Dragon, almost too twisty for fun but lots of gentle areas too to relax between the hills. So many good roads up there like Moonshiner 28 that sometimes I just ride several hours turning down whatever road looks good and when it's time to head to the barn I turn on the GPS and use it to get me started back to the house.
AZ. is varied by locality....Mid to Northern AZ has some great rides (and once out of the cities/some towns).
Country in Eastern and Southern AZ. are great ridin' area's also.
:smiley_th

1 - 18 of 18 Posts