Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody built a replacement toolbox?
Out of metal?
All idea's and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I'm thinkin' Aluminum plate, I'll use the same lock and mounting locations. Probably build a box that fits in the space first. Then make some cover plates so the final product will look as close to the original as possible.
Any idea's on a good clean looking way of attaching the Aluminum plates together?

·
2,528 Posts
I've made them out of wood

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Very nice Shark. That toolbox was one of Kawasaki's worse ideas.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Has anybody built a replacement toolbox?
Out of metal?
All idea's and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I'm thinkin' Aluminum plate, I'll use the same lock and mounting locations. Probably build a box that fits in the space first. Then make some cover plates so the final product will look as close to the original as possible.
Any idea's on a good clean looking way of attaching the Aluminum plates together?
Weld the pieces, then grind/file the welds smooth. You could polish it for more bling or paint it like the stock box. Use a piano hinge to attach the door.

·
Registered
796 Posts
2 part epoxy would work holding the pieces together. That stuff bonds very well if done correctly. Or if you knew someone that could weld aluminum and then just paint it after.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
133 Posts
Saw it at a swap meet. Looked great so I bought several sticks. They were not to expensive, I think I paid about $15.00 for 4 or 5 rods about 1 foot long and 2 different thicknesses. They have been in my "someday" drawer for about 4 months now. Someday I will try and see if I can make a repair as easily as the guy at the swap meet did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yay, now I can replace mine. only problem is that i never had one, any ideas on a closing mechanism or where i can get the lock?

·
Just a little mixed up...
42 Posts
Shark,

If you are willing and have them, I would appreciate any and all dimensions you can supply.

I work on C.A.D. and am currently modeling a sheet metal reproduction from which a flat pattern can be made and bent, then seams welded.

I was thinking about doing one with the forum logo laser cut into, or an added piece with the logo attached to.

Once done, if there is interest I could get costs from a local place to have them done.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
How about...

VN454, How about a slightly extended version as well? I've been pondering ways to do that myself via fiberglass mods. Not alot of room in the stock one. Maybe another 1-2 inches (alright guys!! I know how you are, no snide remarks here).:doh:

·
Just a little mixed up...
42 Posts
Well, the one I have to measure up is an extended backrest, so I was planning on filling up as much as possible.

I could see the lid closing off the top section to create a two compartment setup. Trouble would be loose stuff comes spilling out. I'll post pics of the 3d model for feedback from ya'll in a new post when I get it completed.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I like Shark's best !!...bein a hillbilly yahoo and all...cept I wouldnt have painted it...nice, dark walnut stain...yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :smiley_th:smiley_th

I have a stock one that will never use again, $9 plus shipping...with key...

·
2,528 Posts
Yay, now I can replace mine. only problem is that i never had one, any ideas on a closing mechanism or where i can get the lock?
The lock I got was by “FIRST WATCH” it is a 7/8” Utility cam lock. You’ll need a ¾” drill bit to mount the lock.
It is item # 1378 (about $4.50). I got all my materials at Lowe’s.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
PM sent/answered fer mine btw......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts