Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the bike i bought came without a toolbox and I am currently in the process of ordering the pieces to put together a replacement box.

Does anyone have a source for putting in a replacement lock for the box? the prices for a new lock from the dealer seems a bit high. Since I would end up with a second key either way, I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative to the lock. (such as picking on up from the local hardware store)

What type/style of lock would I be looking for? (I guess its a little difficult searching fora part when you don't know what they are called.)

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Home Depot and Lowes have them too.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Camlock. Got it.

Thanks!!

·
Banned
448 Posts
If you need a toolbox lock, I have a stock one with key.
$20.00 shipped.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
I believe there is a older thread on how to rekey Vulcan locks so they match your ignition key. Try the search button at the top.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My toolbox lock vibrated loose and fell off. So when I get a replacement a bit of non perm threadlocker will be used. Just a bit of helpfull information when you replace yours.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
My first toolbox lid broke and fell off years ago, along with the lock. I replaced both with new oem parts, and learned NEVER to use that box. It is designed to break. Kawasaki engineering at it's absolute worst. I run my seat without the bolts, so I will not have to open that lid to get to them. I have the extended backrest, and it holds the seat in place.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
I used black duct tape on the inside to help support the rediculous plastic hinge. Others have made their own hinges that look cool and work even cooler. I have thumb screws securing the seat so I can remove it without fishing for a wrench. It's worked out for me so far but you have to check the tape every now and then ;). The Gorilla tape seems more durable by the way.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts