Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read a few posts in here about placing tape on the toolbox hinge in case the plastic hinge breaks. This happened to mine last year. Luckily I didn't lose the lid or the lock. Instead of taping it I decided a metal hinge would be a better replacement. It was also cheaper than buying a new door. This raised the lid slightly which makes it lock more securely. After a year of riding they have held up decently.
I will be making another one soon for a friend of mine that is getting ready to lose his toolbox lid. If anyone is interested I'll post a list of materials and instructions.

Toolbox Closed

Toolbox Open

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Looks good Lancer. :smiley_th
I lost the lock, so I just replaced the box with a small nylon, backpack looking, camera bag. Doesn't look too bad with the nylon saddlebags.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Mine hasn't broke off yet but ity's close. That is the same thought I had to do. The only differace is I plan on using a cut section of a bicycle rubber innertube. 1. to hide the hinge 2. to block out the rain. Great job though!

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Mine was fixed by simply drilling some holes in the lid and body and running a nylon zip tie throught he holes and voila, a cheap fix. I haven't noticed any rain leakage but then again, I keep the paper work in a plastic bag.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hyper

Can you please post a picture. Curios to see how it looks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I came out great I would definitely be interested in getting that list. Thanks

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Hyper

Can you please post a picture. Curios to see how it looks.
This is the best I could find for now....

That isn't the same one I have on now, but nearly identical.
I'll get a current pic on later today.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be working on it this weekend and hope to have everything posted on Sunday.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Here's a couple pics of the bag I have on the bike now, inplace of the toolbox.

I really like it compared to the box. It holds things more organized and more secure (as far as bouncing around) with two zippered pockets on the outside, one zippered pocket on the inside, and a velcro secured outside pocket that's perfect for holding my kickstand plate.
I have it mounted by running the shoulder straps over the backrest, then under the rack, and then buckled back onto the bag.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I kindadid the same thing as kanuck but I glued my tube to the inside. Looks better but is not as secure as a piano hinge.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Another person waiting on instructions <g>.

I'm thinking the original concept coupled with kanucks idea of sticking a bike tire in the works would work and look great... though I can't talk too much about looks - I'm the guy with ammo cans on my bike - and trailer tail-lights stuck to em <g>.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
toolbox hinge part1

Parts:
4 - 3/16"x1/4" Aluminum Binding post with screw
4 - 1/4" flat washers 9/16" OD (10 per pack) - Found in plumbing section of Home Depot
1 - tube of Blue Locktite (optional)
1 - 1 1/2" wide hinge (Different platings. I went with bright nickle plated)

Tools:
Phillips head screwdriver
3/16" drill bit
small round file
flat file
hacksaw

1) After removing the toolbox from the bike, remove the lock. You will see 4 phillips head screws connecting the front of the box to the back of the box. Remove them.

2) Remove reflector from box. Makes it easier for lining up the upper and lower parts of the lid

3) If the top and bottom part of the lid isn't separated, you will have to separate them by carefully cutting the plastic hinge. Use the flat file to smooth the edges.

4) Cut the hinge from the end about 6 inches long. You want it long enough to bridge the raised lines inside the box. You should have 3 holes in the part you cut. Smooth the cut edge and corners with the flat file.

5) The holes in the hinge are slightly smaller that the post that will go through it. Use the round file to widen the hole slightly. You want a tight fit with the post going through the hole.

6) Line up the the hinge on the inside of the top lid and mark the center of the outer two holes for drilling.

Make sure the hinge is butted against the top lid.

This will act as a spacer when you join the top and bottom lids. Carefully drill the holes using the 3/16" drill bit so that there is a tight fit for the post to go through (similar to the hinge). You will have to use the round file to enlarge the hole slightly.

7) Slice a section of the washer so that it will fit flat inside the box

8) Push a post through the hole in the lid, place a washer over the post

and put the hinge over the post. Put the screw in the post.

9) Cut the corners off the bottom part of the hinge so that it fits into the bottom lid

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
toolbox hinge part 2

10) Line up the top lid with the bottom lid and mark the holes for drilling
Follow the same steps as for the top lid.

11) Put the reflector back and lock on the lid and re-attach the box to the lid.

You can apply a little bit of loctite to the hinge screws to keep them from coming loose. I didn't do this to mine and they haven't come loose in over a year.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Glad you like it. :D
I already had the parts on hand, but I think the total price for everything was around $10 - $15 from Home Depot and about an hour work to put everything together.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts