Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahoy Vulcaneers --

I'm installing V&H exhaust and may need to adjust the fuel mixture screws. I got the factory covers off the fuel mixture screws, but it's not a straight path to the small flat-head adjustment screws. I'm wondering if one of those long thin flexible screw drivers would do the trick?

Any tips for a tool or method to adjust the fuel mixture carb screws is most welcome!

Also, is this the correct procedure?

1. gently turn the fuel screw all the way in
2. back it out about 3 turns
3. test ride and adj as necessary

Thanx in advance! :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
A very very small screwdriver will do the trick -easier to get in there with a short one than a long-handled one. And, yes, the best approach for adjustment is to turn the screws all the way in GENTLY and then back them out. I wouldn't go all the way to three turns out to start, though - try two and then work out from there. 3 is really your outer limit.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I've used a flat head screw driver bit and turn the bit with my fingers. It's a little tricky and kind of a pain, but it works for me.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A very very small screwdriver will do the trick -easier to get in there with a short one than a long-handled one. And, yes, the best approach for adjustment is to turn the screws all the way in GENTLY and then back them out. I wouldn't go all the way to three turns out to start, though - try two and then work out from there. 3 is really your outer limit.
Okay Cindy --

Will do. Many thanx for both tips!! :beerchug:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used a flat head screw driver bit and turn the bit with my fingers. It's a little tricky and kind of a pain, but it works for me.
Thanx DF!

That sounds like it might just work! :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I use a small Craftsman offset ratcheting screwdriver. It works great.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I made a screwdriver out of a piece of welding rod. I made it about 8" long, flattened one end and shaped it like a screwdrive head and made a 90deg bend about an inch at the other end. This does a nice job with it's long reach, runs right between the jug fins and easy clocking by way of the bend.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
i use the screw driver bit method but i attach a craftsman 1/4" ratcheting wrench to the bit
I tried that at first, but the length of the bit and ratchet were too long to fit so that's why I just turn it with my fingers.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not a ratchet, a ratcheting wrench like this one:

just put the bit into the boxed end and ratchet away

Hey Slim --

This is a great tip!!! :smiley_th

Thanx, Dude. :beerchug:

·
2,526 Posts
So, I tried checking my adjusting screws and the left side turned just fine, I turned it in and backed it out 2-1/2 turns. The problem is the right one looks a little bitched up. I have the flexible handle screwdriver that could get in there, but I still can't turn it properly. I could only get it to turn a little both ways. Looks like I will need to pull the carbs to get at it a little better. Anyone have a spare adjusting screw? If not I'll have to order one.

·
Newb with a Bullet!
589 Posts
Hey Slim --

This is a great tip!!! :smiley_th

Thanx, Dude. :beerchug:
Here's mine. After stealing Slim's advice the bit kept falling out of my driver, making it harder than it needed to be. So I put a couple wraps of white thread seal tape around it and now it sits nice and snug in the drive. I can reach my index finger in and steady it on the opposite side as well. What's more, I can draw a black dot on the white tape with a marker and use it to count revolutions easily.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Here's mine. After stealing Slim's advice the bit kept falling out of my driver, making it harder than it needed to be. So I put a couple wraps of white thread seal tape around it and now it sits nice and snug in the drive. I can reach my index finger in and steady it on the opposite side as well. What's more, I can draw a black dot on the white tape with a marker and use it to count revolutions easily.
hey that is a good idea...wish i would have thought of that first...lol...

·
Newb with a Bullet!
589 Posts
My design. Patent pending. Please send me .003 cents if you use it!

·
Newb with a Bullet!
589 Posts
Yeah, but then you can't pick it up in person!! (That's a funny joke. If you don't get it, PM me if you really want the explanation!)

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I've got a set of driver bits that are about 2" long and one of them has the small flathead on it. Works great for me just using the bit. I mark a spot on the edge of the opening around the screw where the slot lines up when the screw is seated and use that as my gauge.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My method was to spend a week in a swamp with Yoda, so now I just use the force;) This method also works for all hard to reach nuts, bolts, screws, as well as the cold drink that's ALLLL the way in the house:beerchug:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts