Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

tool box lock fell out

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  lordbutz 
#1 ·
i know its a common problem for the lid itself to fall off but has anyone ever had the lock fall out? it was in a parking garage at the time and i made a report with security but they havent called me back so i'm not sure if it fell out while riding there or if someone popped the lock out but left the wrenches and papers i kept in there.

duct tape is doing a great job of holding the door closed right now but i am on the hunt for a more permanent solution.

#2 ·
Several members have used a cabinet door lock available at Lowe's or Home Depot with success. They are easily trimmed if necessary to get the correct locking arm length. Cut the opposite end from where the arm actually clamps (locks) onto the inside of the tool box and drill a new end hole. Good luck. If you do find a Kawasaki lock setup there is a thread on changing the lock pins so that it will be keyed the same as your ignition key if you want.

#4 ·
This has always been an issue with this bike, and I made it my #2 suggestion the fifth post inthis thread:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Sorry you didn't get this info sooner. At the old yahoo group we sent out a list of "must do's" to every new member. Seems we can't do that here for those requesting membership. Sorry.

So do read through that thread. Your swingarm caps are also prone to falling off BTW.....

#5 ·
On my '93, bought new, I lost the lock. Dealer replaced it free. Tool box door later broke off, but I did not loose it. I replaced it with a new one, then never used it again. The small amount of room in that compartment is not worth much. It would be convenient, if not for the door breaking off if you actually use it, but I found someplace else to keep things. I thought about putting a cabinet hinge on it, but would rather it look stock.

#7 ·
I like cheap, but it is not always possible. I'm about to replace the entire pickup coils and wire assembly ($160) because the insulation inside the engine has hardened and is breaking off. Might as well do it right while the engine is out, rather than put it all back together and have it short out on me hundreds of miles from home. Hopefully I will get at least another 20,000-30,000 miles out of all this, which will make it very cheap compared to buying another bike (which could have problems)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.