Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I was riding a car in front of the car in front of me jams his brakes to make a non signalled turn. The car in front of me brakes hard and I in turn brake hard. I applied too much break though, which would have been fine, a little fishtail maybe but not enough to tip me over.

Unfortunately I just happen to be on a broken, gravelly bit of asphalt and it all went south quick.

Also unfortunate, due to the warm weather I wasn't wearing my leather and took a nasty bit of road rash the arm. The pants I got were ripped up pretty good too and my knee has looked better.

FORTUNATELY, I was wearing a helmet and gloves so hands and head were all fine.

Always looking to turn negatives into positives I wrote an article about it

http://bulletsfirst.net/2014/06/06/guns-like-motorcycle-helmets-helpful-tools-needed/

Some wound pictures there and a shot of my helmets damage.

Or you can go straight to the youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-H_Et2iEmY

But on to the important matter...THE BIKE.

Damn, our Vulcan's are made like TANKS. The bike made it through better than I did. While the seat did get ripped off as the sissy bar broke and a little chrome got scratched the majority of the impact found its way on the foot rests and hand bars.

Not body or engine damage. Just need to straighten out the handlebars.

Love my Vulcan!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident man. I'm glad you weren't hurt any worse than you were.

Wishing you and the bike a quick recovery.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Good to see you walked away with.minor injuries. 2 second rule in a car and I at least double that on a bike, just sayin. I have a good set of bars and a near mint seat ill let go for a good price if needed.

·
200% senile
164 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident but I'm glad that the injuries were no more serious than what they were.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I appreciate the well wishes.

And yeah, I do have a nice leather jacket that would have probably eliminated the arm injury but stupid me thought it was too hot for such things.

I think an investment in some warm weather armor is on the docket.

As for the bike, I ended up riding it home and outside of the handlebars being a little askew it runs fine.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I just invested in a good mesh jacket myself. I strongly prefer just a t-shirt but after seeing a friend who's hip and shoulder were eaten deeply during a slide I decided to spring for something cooler than my leather jacket. While still a little warm on a hot day I know I'll probably lose less skin if I ever go for the slide.

I was happily surprised at how little the armor padding shows in the shoulders, elbows, and back, falls naturally in place and I don't even know it's there. While I'm not willing to deal with padding at the knees I'm considering some of those Sliders Kevlar reinforced jeans. I wouldn't wear them most days, just riding to the shop or around town but on the longer rides they're worth considering.

Mend yourself and the bike, then just like a horse ya gotta climb back on and ride.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just invested in a good mesh jacket myself. I strongly prefer just a t-shirt but after seeing a friend who's hip and shoulder were eaten deeply during a slide I decided to spring for something cooler than my leather jacket. While still a little warm on a hot day I know I'll probably loose less skin if I ever go for the slide.

I was happily surprised at how little the armor padding shows in the shoulders, elbows, and back, falls naturally in place and I don't even know it's there. While I'm not willing to deal with padding at the knees I'm considering some of those Sliders Kevlar reinforced jeans. I wouldn't wear them most days, just riding to the shop or around town but on the longer rides they're worth considering.

Mend yourself and the bike, then just like a horse ya gotta climb back on and ride.
I've always been leery about just a tee shirt so I was wearing a thick flannel with the sleeves rolled up a bit, saved the skin above the elbow.

I like the idea of those kevlar jeans you mentioned. The pants I had were just shredded and something with a little more meat to it will give me peace of mind in the future.

But like you, a mesh jacket is in my near future.

And i fix her up and the swelling goes down in my knee i'll be back up on my bike. I mean...the season just started here in the North, can't let a little rash get in the way of summer :motorcycl

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Road Rash heals, chicks dig scars,,,, still, I'd prefer to avoid the whole scar building process. Get the mesh jacket and consider those Slider jeans. They also make Kakis too. $79. expensive compared to regular jeans but a lot tougher when sliding across the road.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
x2 on the Sliders brand jeans/cargo pants/khakis. Decent for the price (especially when some other riding 'jeans' cost $150+)

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
x2 on the Sliders brand jeans/cargo pants/khakis. Decent for the price (especially when some other riding 'jeans' cost $150+)
I know I am being lazy but hey, it's what I do. Did someone post a link to the Sliders Jeans I missed?

Glad to hear you got by fairly easy but I can't help but think a man with the username "Prophet" would have seen this one coming. You must be one of the minor prophets. Just yanking your chain a little but get healed up soon and ride that thing like you stole it :motorcycl:motorcycl

·
2,521 Posts
If you need a short sissy bar and grab rails let me know. Glad you made it without getting hurt too badly.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'll throw another vote in for the Sliders jeans.

I got mine from competition accessories:
http://www.compacc.com/p/sliders-kevlar-motorcycle-riding-jeans-4-0

Yes, they are a bit pricey compared to conventional jeans. However, I do feel they are well worth the price.

I picked up my first pair early March, (I think?) and then a couple more ween they wen on sale for $75 over memorial day weekend.

Overall, I feel they are very well made. The denim material is thicker and appears to be a higher quality of most of the off the shelf jeans that you see in your local cheapo-mart stores. Then you throw in the Kevlar lining and have some added protection.

Despite the added thickness, they are very comfortable wearing them all day. Granted, I'm just sitting around at the office. If I were moving around a lot all day/night or working outdoors, I would probably want to bring along something else to change into as theses things can get a bit warm if your very active.

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
I have to say all the Kevlar jeans out there are pure BS though, as far as the Kevlar goes anyway. Draggin' Jeans puts on a great show but it's on a super smooth, filled in tarmac with water. I guarantee if you did that on actual pavement they'd shred. It's stop a bullet so it has to be strong right? Yeah, well no.. tensile vs compression vs shear vs abrasion are all very different properties. A properly woven nylon like Cordura is actually more abrasion resistant than Kevlar. Save that for a vest. Get some leather or armored under clothes instead.

I was fishtailing badly on mud today, but I have yet to go down aside from coming to a stop on wet grass in a turn. I hope when it does happen I come out of it as well off as you did.

Glad you're in one piece. There are 2 kinds of bikers: those who have been down and those who WILL go down.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have to say all the Kevlar jeans out there are pure BS though, as far as the Kevlar goes anyway. Draggin' Jeans puts on a great show but it's on a super smooth, filled in tarmac with water. I guarantee if you did that on actual pavement they'd shred. It's stop a bullet so it has to be strong right? Yeah, well no.. tensile vs compression vs shear vs abrasion are all very different properties. A properly woven nylon like Cordura is actually more abrasion resistant than Kevlar. Save that for a vest. Get some leather or armored under clothes instead.

I was fishtailing badly on mud today, but I have yet to go down aside from coming to a stop on wet grass in a turn. I hope when it does happen I come out of it as well off as you did.

Glad you're in one piece. There are 2 kinds of bikers: those who have been down and those who WILL go down.
True, test condition do make a huge difference...

THIS video is what convinced me to invest in the jeans.
...a few notes on the video.
The guy is a bit of a fooktard (you've been warned) and they do the test on concrete rather than asphalt. I'm not too sure how this would affect the damage to the jeans, but my guess is that the concrete would be more abrasive.

Also, note the complete lack of water and wet ground, so no advantage there.

Just my 2 cents worth on their durability and where I'm coming from on the matter.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,723 Posts

well, I can tell you this.......I have tested both, a pair of Draggin' Jeans and a Draggin' Jeans, Jean Jacket the HARD way! I went down, I was wearing both. I believe that they saved my a$$! believe what you want, but for me, I'll keep on wearing my Draggin' Jeans and/or other Kevlar Jeans/Jackets.
I was also wearing a good pair of over the ankle Milwaukee Leather Boots.

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
Well yeah, let me revise that... They're definitely better than cotton denim, that's for sure. Other textiles are better, but I'm glad they're working for you. And the miracles stuff you see on the Draggin' test videos, nope. Just not happening on real pavement, at least when it's dry.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,723 Posts
Well yeah, let me revise that... They're definitely better than cotton denim, that's for sure. Other textiles are better, but I'm glad they're working for you. And the miracles stuff you see on the Draggin' test videos, nope. Just not happening on real pavement, at least when it's dry.
that's cool. I'm just glad you that prefer to wear some kind of gear.:smiley_th

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Good gear doesn't stop at pants. I went down in a parking lot doing moto gymkhana last weekend after an unexpected bit of gravel and the VN's rear slid out.

Went down on the left so the center stand saved the bike.. Only damage was broken mirror and scratched crutch lever.

I had on riding shoes (Sidi Doha), jeans, quality textile jacket, and full face helmet.

Foot hit the ground first, caught and caused me to do a minor roll. Bike slid to a stop. Upon attempting to stand I realize my ankle was worthless and landed flat on my ass in a comedic fashion.

A week later I'm still down and out, so I'll use it as an opportunity to point out good tall riding boots would have done much better. Sure the Sidi Doha's probably saved me from a break, but I definitely have tore a tendon or 2 due to the hyper extension.

Rest of the gear did fine; jeans did OK since it was 5mph or under. Helmet avoided the ground luckily.

Even stupid parking lot downs can lead to injury, especially if you aren't wearing the gear. I'm getting well aquained with the Gameshow Network.. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts