Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am usually disappointed with the results of working on my 1992 VN750. It usually takes me several tries to finally fix something.

When riding at night, I would often see my headlight go dim when I came to a stop. I tried taking voltage readings at the battery with the engine running and could not get a reading much over 13.3 volts.

I had read how important it is to keep electrical contacts clean, so I went to Radio Shack to get contact cleaner. I got a can of Control / Contact Cleaner & Lubricant (64-4315). I cleaned the three connectors leading from the stator and the plug into the regulator. I also sprayed the two connections into the junction (fuse) box. Everything seemed a little oily. I wiped off some of the excess and plugged everything back together.

I started the bike using partial choke, so it was idling around 2500 RPM. I tested the voltage at the battery and saw 17.8 volts! I panicked and shut everything down. Isn't that too much? What's up?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I ran across that problem with my old 60 chevy p/u. I was 20 miles from home during the day in a hot hot day. I could not just shut down as you did, good move. I had to run my lights, heater fan to keep the voltage down to about 14 to 15 volts. Anyways, the regulator had gone bad in my alternator. I have done a generator to alternator change on the old truck. Your regular may have gone bad. You may try your connections again first.

·
Registered
271 Posts
When at idle, the bike is not charging the battery. Your headlight will dim. Bring the idle up to 1500 and the battery will get a charge and the headlight will brighten. Normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts