Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kufbass
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I had my new tires put on by the motorcycle shop I have been getting black greese on my rims. I was wondering if they put too much lube on the splines, or did they not tighten something to cause it to leak? I was wondering if it is going like this, is it going to eventually run out of greese and then rust. Thanks for the answers!!

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Sounds like it's leaking from the final drive. Take a close look at where the grease is coming from. Where the splines are located, it's pretty much sealed. If they used an improper grease or too much grease on your final drive, it could come from there.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
First make sure it is not gear oil, which looks black when dirty. If it is grease, it has to be coming from the splines on the rear wheel, as the driveshaft is sealed. Moly paste should not come off like that. Before I found out about moly paste, I used moly wheel bearing grease, and had the same problem.

·
Kufbass
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is comming from the little space between the wheel and the shaft. It seems I looked that is all I can tell without taking off the wheel. It does smell like grease. I looked around the final drive nuts,and there is no leaking.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Yup. Excess grease from the final drive. Clean it up & ride a bit more keeping an eye on it. If you see more come out contact the shop that did the work & ask them what type of lube they used on the final drive & that you have excess grease being flung from it. This should not leak like that & is not normal.

Make them do the work if they suggest removing the wheel to clean up the grease.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just did my splines 2 days ago, and I packed good with moly grease. I didn't think you could over lube them to a certain extent of course, but since you can over lube them I guess I did. However I do not have anything coming out of anywhere. Except those 2 little drops of oil that I find when I have my bike on the side stand after driving it. I can vouch for Moly Grease.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
There's lubing your splines (sealed) & there's lubing the gears on your final drive (not sealed but tight fit) where it meshes with the rear wheel. I'm pretty sure he's having an issue with excessive grease leaking from the later.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gottcha, I mollied that up too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts