Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, on the bike things looks bad. The stator is now out & I checked the lead to the body of the stator. Lets say 1 & 2 read 1.2 ohm lead to body of stator & 3 reads .8 I'm thinking I have two shorted out? There is no visible damage this time so I can't see any obvious sh!t. I just want to double check what I think I already know before I send it back for a warranty repair.

Please, anyone chime in. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
OK, on the bike things looks bad. The stator is now out & I checked the lead to the body of the stator. Lets say 1 & 2 read 1.2 ohm lead to body of stator & 3 reads .8 I'm thinking I have two shorted out? There is no visible damage this time so I can't see any obvious sh!t. I just want to double check what I think I already know before I send it back for a warranty repair.

Please, anyone chime in. ;)
Are you sober enough to tell what scale you have the meter on?There is only.4 difference, but is on 2K or 20K Or 200K. It sounds as if all three are somewhat shorted to ground if it is out of the bike it should read OL or infinity as in open,my thought is if you are reading any continuity to the frame of the stator it's shorted.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lowest setting. 200 That was my thought but was looking for a sober second opinion. Not wasted but definitely not completely clear. Thank god for spell check! lol
I am using a cheap meter. I don't believe I can "0" it out but I still don't thin k I should get any reading if it's fine. Burp, hick-up, hick-up. lol .....................

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
The lowest setting. 200 That was my thought but was looking for a sober second opinion. Not wasted but definitely not completely clear. Thank god for spell check! lol
I am using a cheap meter. I don't believe I can "0" it out but I still don't thin k I should get any reading if it's fine. Burp, hick-up, hick-up. lol .....................
It should read real close to what it reads without the leads touching anything or each other or there is a short to the core/frame.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ive mentioned this before on another post, not knowing the persons knowledge of electrical troubleshooting. Since all 3 wires should have good continuity between them. All it would take is for one wire to be shorted and with out any other opens it would show that all 3 are shorted to ground. Nothing really important, just some FYI

1 - 7 of 7 Posts