Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked one up and getting it charged and updated for the trip to wolfies to get my forwards. already put in the info that i need. cam with a ram mount, power cable to hardwire to bike, home charger an free lifetime updates.

its waterproof and it weighs a good bit. have to see how it does on the trip

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have looked at those (online anyway). I would like to have one - seems pretty cool.

Give an update how you like it.

Did you buy new or used?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
been wanting one myself....do you have bluetooth capability?
sure does, it had a good bit of bad reviews but i took a chance on it

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I have a Tom Tom in my cage.. Worst GPS I ever used... My Cell Phone does a beter job (and even then its not that accurate). The maps give locations that are way off... My house is on the other side of town according to Tom Tom tom.. at least my phone says I should be next door.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I use the Garmin nuvi myself. Got a ball mount that fits the handle bars off e-bay. I love the fact that I can just ride whatever road looks good for hours in the GA/NC/TN mountains and when I see the sun starting to get low to hit the "go home" button and have it point the way.

Usually I half way know the way home but not always the shortest route after several hours in the twisties.

Remember, Most GPS units allow you to select routes that avoid the interstate if you prefer to stay off the super slab.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I had a Tom Tom in my car about 6 or so years ago and it was a complete POS. I lost track of the number of times it attempted to drive me through a brick wall or into a river, off a cliff, or some such nonsense. I've been using whichever Android phone I happen to have since then and have very few complaints about that.

Here's hoping your experience is better goofin.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
AAA folded maps here. Never have to worry about battery!

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
AAA folded maps here. Never have to worry about battery!
.....I need to pull over....get the maps out ! (.......hope I can figure out where I am at) !

:smiley_th

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
.....I need to pull over....get the maps out ! (.......hope I can figure out where I am at) !

Isn't the adventure half the fun about being on the road? :motorcycl

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts
Truth be told here.....I never used my GPS to go anywhere.(except in the car for multi state trips)
Used it to listen to music, for the phone feature, and the POI
(Points of Intrest) software to find local places to eat, sleep or get gas.
Only used the navigation software to find my way back.....after I succeeded in getting myself lost.
The weather warning and traffic software did come in handy a few times...

Basicly the GPS part functioned as a map....that I didn't have to pull over and re-fold.

Most smart phones now can do most of the same things. But both are indespensible in finding a route to a given address you're unfamiliar with.
You can literally pick a spot on the map and get a route to it. This is also handy if you know where you want to go but not an exact address. Folding maps can't zoom out or in....
And they don't talk.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Garmin Zumo 550 here. Tom Toms suck in comparison...(sorry)

The new Zumos are better I'm told. Mine allows Bluetooth voice prompts, MP3 downloads, phone display and maps are upgradable.
The rider doesn't have a speaker so you need a Bluetooth. Mine is synced with my plantronics legend and will sync with my Samsung galaxy 3. Lifetime maps with 4 downloads a year. I'm headed to Wolfe's in the morning so we will see how it works

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Im like Tanner on this....I seen too many GPS systems fail in areas with high iron content in the mountains (like here).....

I make my own custom route, then print it using a topo as a background....but hell, I been all over the US almost up to the Rockies...I use my balls to tell me east and west....the left one pulls west the right east....

We'll see how ya do tomorrow mornin Dave....once ya get up by the state line, folks get friendlier, so just ask anyone if ya get screwed up....

...yer gonna LOVE Skyline Drive.... ;) You'll be goin right past Unique Cycle in Hewitt too...first right, 10 miles up and yer here....

PS...if its REAL windy, get off exit 55 to Wanaque and take 511 up....once ya get thru a few lil towns, ya follow the reservoir up then....thats how I go to KC's....really pretty ride.....newly paved too...

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,722 Posts
I use a GPS and always carry paper maps for back up. those paper maps have saved my a$$ more than once. GPS's can lie!:doh:

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
On my business trips I carry paper backups too, Saved me a time or two when the GPS couldn't pick up the satellites.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Hay....I been to the point in the Adironacks in the 70s, where I could only tell north by the moss on the trees....moss dont lie....jack....lol

I took a trip to Joplin, MO around 2000...no maps....seemed too easy....all went fine till I hit St Louis and missed the ringroad....I ended up with "HonkyLips" on my Blazer..... ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts
The rider doesn't have a speaker so you need a Bluetooth. Mine is synced with my plantronics legend and will sync with my Samsung galaxy 3. Lifetime maps with 4 downloads a year. I'm headed to Wolfe's in the morning so we will see how it works
Yes. My only exposure to the Tom Tom was the first model it came out with, so my "suck" comment is likely dated. Appologies. The Tom
Tom is the direct competitor of the Garmin Zumo series. Would guess current models are simular.
I also had the XM radio option with my Zumo. All told the entire set up cost $600. WAY too much in my opinion when today you can use your phone or pick up a Nuvi for under a hundred with an ear jack.

I never "got into" the whole GPS thing...where you make your own routes on your computer and download them to the GPS. Only thing I did download was a POI file that told me where every Yamaha dealer was in the US.

Most riders likely don't really need a GPS. As i said, mine spent most of its life as a music player....But I think if you're a serious touring rider you're silly not to have one.

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
Been through 3 garmins and always go back to the tom tom. It's so old you can't get updates, but roads don't change too much. Garmin had me drivin between lanes the through lakes and rivers.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I often travel to different states/new area's and such. I would not be without a GPS.
I have POI's of Walmarts, Cracker Barrels, Lowe's loaded.
I own two Garmins, the oldest is 9 years (?) ...Newer one is a Nuvi.
Both have been great, No complaints, only one hiccup, in Tampa, FL. a 4 lane main road containing mostly commercial business's and such ...did not exist in the garmin for one block...only for one block ! :BLAM: LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts