Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have recently had a aftermarket TOCK Manufacturing spring faliure. I am hoping the cam chain did'nt jump a toth or 2 and bend valves. Can anyone give me advice on getting the timing syncronised again without removing the engine. I was thinking, seing as the other cylinder is still correct, I could somehow use it as a guide to set the timing on the failed cylinder. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers Luan

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
we need more info....

1) what sounds are being made
2) how do you know that the spring didnt just break and the chain is still fine
3) is the chain still intact?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Unfortunately the engine does have to come out to check the camshaft timing properly as the top covers won't come off with the engine in place.
Obviously it's hard to know for sure but I would say it's very unlikely that the chain has slipped on the teeth. When the spring broke, did the engine keep on running on both cylinders? Would have been a good sign if they did. The tensioners work on the "slack" side of the chains so if it happened when the engine was running I would say that the timing should be OK - hope so anyway.
Keep us posted on your findings. :beerchug:

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Wait, don't the tensioners lock in place? If the spring broke, the plunger wouldn't just fall backwards - it would have to be screwed back in. With engine vibration, it may be able to work it's way, but if there was any pressure on the plunger, chances are that it wouldn't move back out very much. I bet your OK. How far did you drive with it broken?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts