Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read at J&P cycles that Slime is not recommended for Aluminum Rims,
wondering what our VN750 Rims are made out of ?

Apparently Slime causes corrosion with Aluminum Rims.:(

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
we have aluminum that is annodized

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
No!! Don't use slime!

I and a whole gob of others use "Ride-On", which is guaranteed not to damage or corrode rims and will balance your tires and make them wear longer and other stuff. Go to their website and read about it. Good stuff! I've read reviews that weren't on their own website about it and everyone says it's great stuff. Washes off with soap and water... Won't piss off your local tire guy...

http://www.ride-on.com/

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
What Fergy said!
No to Slime!!
Yes to Ride-On!

My tire guy won't touch a slimed tire.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Read up on Ride-On and it sounds and looks good, will check out a few other
alternatives to the famous Slime. Plan on doing some Adventure Riding in Old
Mexico when I totally Retire and will be using Ride-On for sure down south of the Border.

Flat's are common South of Gringo Pass. Ahh that's good Cervesa on a hot and dusty day.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
fergy said:
...and will balance your tires...
Do you have any idea how well this stuff balances them ?
If I do my own tire changes on the streetbike this would be a big help.

Oh yeah, like they said....

DON'T SLIME THEM !!!

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
well their web site says it does.... and in theory it would work really well. But it must be roughly balanced first.
Also side note, if you match the dot on the tire poperly, you rarely need to do additional balancing, and if you do its minimal. there is a post about all u need to know on here somewhere with a vid too

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
The ride-on does have a balancing effect. They claim your tires will wear longer and more evenly. I do know that on my first ride after installing the stuff, there was a slight feeling of floating on air. It was the weirdest feeling. It was a subtle change, but definitely noticable.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
fergy said:
I do know that on my first ride after installing the stuff, there was a slight feeling of floating on air. It was the weirdest feeling.
I've had that happen in my car. You probably pinched a butt nerve.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
when you put this stuff in it just piles up near the valve stem area. i would think it takes at least couple of miles before it spreads (under centrifugal force) evenly in a tire. during this time you have very unbalanced wheel hence the floating.
how dence is this stuff? obviously the denser it is the longer it would take to spread. i would think it should be something like honey to work.

cegodsey, doesn't it collect on the bottom of a tire if you don't drive/ride for some time? cause then the wheel would be unbalanced again.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
actually the instructions say to install the correct amount and then fill the tire with the right amount of air. Then go for a ride for about 10 minutes and it will be evenly distributed. It doesn't settle. Once you have spread it around, it stays. I'm sure if you only did a test ride and then didn't ride again for a few months, it would settle a little, but I didn't feel any unbalanced feeling from the beginning. It has stayed smooth as glass.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Tankist - I know nothing. I am just a pawn. Like a toy Minah bird in a toy store, I simply repeat what I've heard.

SqwauK sQuWauk!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts