Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve always wanted a Vulcan. I don’t have a bottomless well of money so my plan was to get a beater that didn’t run, fix it up, and make it my own. (I turned the first bike I ever owned [lil ninja 250] into something uniquely mine over the years and now, no matter how many larger displacement sport bikes I’ve owned, I can never get sell my little baby)

So:
What I found was an ‘86 with one previous owner. It didn’t run, as it sat for at least ten years, it was well loved by the lady I bought it from and her late husband. After rebuilding the carb (new jets and a chemdip soak) as well as tumbling the tank and a thorough cleaning of the petcock, it runs again. Not PERFECTLY, but not bad (just bogs down in higher gears, slight exhaust manifold leak I think) I threw some of the Iridium spark plugs at it, an agm battery, coolant and oil flushed, filters...
After some cleaning and polishing, what I now have is beautiful. It’s not a 100% my style, in fact the plan was to black it out and mess with it, somewhere between mad max and cyberpunk lol
But I’m worried it’s TOO beautiful; now that I see the potential of it... hows it’s all original pieces and in relatively great shape, the idea of murdering this well loved and cared-for original makes me shutter. Like seeing a gorgeous 67 mustang fastback with 20” chrome rims and plastic/bondo mods; my first thought is always “if only someone who appreciated its origins got to it first.
I’m not trying to pass judgement, I’m just trying to do right by this bike.
A.) Sell it; all original, and make some Kawasaki purest out there really happy (and finance the option B, acquiring a newer bike to start with)
B.) Just chop it into pieces and turn THIS bike into the cyberpunk/MadMax sh*tshow I’ve always wanted. It’s older and it’ll take much longer but...

I’m at a loss, and I apologize for the lengthy post I figured you’d be the people to ask. I got it for 900, to make option B make sense, I think if need at least 2k, I’m looking 3k.

can someone give me a reality check, as well as their opinion?

Gratefully,
Mike View attachment 52222

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
If it looked crappy I’d say have at it, but it’s a clean looking bike as is for a 34yr old machine.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It always hurts me when someone starts chopping down a bike, and I don't know why. There are a lot of projects that get started, then abandoned, and the bike gets scrapped or parted out when it was totally fine to begin with. On the flip-side, I absolutely love to see finished projects that are super-customized.

Money-wise, around here (PA) there's not a huge market for good-working-order vn750s, especially if the mileage is on the higher end. $2000 is pretty reasonable, but I wouldn't bet on $3000. If it isn't equitable to sell it and find another, rattier one to build off of, then dive into it. Nothing lasts forever, seize the day, and all that.

Someone on the forum might want to trade you gas tanks if you're going to re-paint anyway.
Never hurts to post the bits you don't want. Turn signals, crash bar, back rest extension should always find a taker.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Chop it only if you want to keep it, and you're sure you want it chopped. Ride it a while and then see what you think.

The bogging most likely isn't the exhaust leak. Make sure the fuel lines aren't running uphill, and make sure the carb vents are in the correct location. Wind on the vents will make it bog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent advice guys, exactly the kind of stuff I needed to think through. I've been riding it the last few days, making sure the kinks are being worked out.
Fun update: I fixed the bogging. one of the carbs-to-engine sleeves was embarrassingly loose, as well as the top most vent tube, (the T-connector one) was just hanging instead of being tucked into its home in the right filter housing.
Cleared up the bogging in higher gears like a charm... except now it has trouble starting and wants to stall when starting/stopping in first lmao (I think I still have some dirty/clogged ports, plus now my idle mixture's all screwy😅)

ANY way, these are wonderful answers guys, thank you. I sure as hell won't touch it unless I'm positive I want to keep it, which is my conundrum. But I'm getting antsy because I love keeping busy and want to start creating! lol
I'd really like to find a buyer for it, not for the money but because the only trouble is the carb. It's a BI*** to take out and work on, which is why proscrastinating cleaning it once more... but other than that, it's mint!

The lines arn't quite the lines I want to start with for what I want to make, but it's objectively gorgeous. And after the work I've done to it, hell the fuel tank is clean enough to eat off of and the cylinder walls look brand new. AND I was wrong about the manifold leak (it was some 10 year old oil burning off the little heat shield next to it)

What I'm trying to say is thank you, and after I settle my score with the carb and idle/air screws, it's going to find the RIGHT owner. Who will love her for all her natural spender and beauty. and THEN i'll find some swept back beast to frankenstien into the AKIRA/Lisbeth Salander/Steve MCqueen chopper abomination I've been dreaming of.

Still grateful,
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts