Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i know everyone seems to want to lower the bike down but not me as i think my frame or swingarm might be tweaked a bit cuz there is more room between the tire and the frame on one side than the other .

and as i am 300 and the wife is big too and my stock shocks are weak i think i need to stiffin and raise the rear a bit

hell when i hit a few bumps or big road dips by myself i feel the tire bottom down or at least i think i do and my shocks are set on the highest preload notch too

and with the 170 on it it dont take much to do it

so what shocks would be the best to use to raise and stiffen the rear up?

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Got any air in them ? Also, more air in one will cause a lil sideways action (happened to me) even though it shouldnt. I suggest joining the 2 air valves to a "tee", that way both can be filled equally.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I don`t know of any longer shocks for the vn750, or if it is even possible to mount longer rear shocks on it.
I still have Ma Kaw`s stock shocks on my scoot, but I believe these Progressive shocks are a big improvement over the stock Kawi shocks.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/metric/412series/index.html
Click on "what fits my bike" and fill in the info. You will get this chart:
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/prodSearchResults.aspx?yearID=1991&makeID=41&modelID=452

The 412 series are the most economical at $300 per pair.
I would get the stock length 12 1/2" Heavy Duty model, high lighted in yellow.

The maximum recommended load on the vn750 is 397 lb.
At 300 lb, you and I are about the same size Tofer. :(
My wife is also too big to ride with me, even if she wanted to, which she doesn`t.
The biggest passenger I can comfortably carry weighs under a hundred pounds.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Got any air in them ? Also, more air in one will cause a lil sideways action (happened to me) even though it shouldnt. I suggest joining the 2 air valves to a "tee", that way both can be filled equally.
You may be able to get one off those connections that they use on the double tires on an 18 wheelie.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
What air pressure are you running in those bad boys? Might want to give them some if you haven't.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
What air pressure are you running in those bad boys? Might want to give them some if you haven't.
Usually 10% of the combined weight of rider and passenger. My combined weight is 305 pounds and 28 pounds pressure works best for me. Ma Kaw says exceeding 71 pounds pressure will blow the seals.

·
Super Moderator
11,928 Posts
More air is not the answer, nor is a longer shock.

You need stiffer springs. CALL Progressive and tell them how much you weigh (with gear) and they will build you a set of shocks with the proper spring rate and dampening for your size.

You'll be amazed at the difference.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I run em at 25psi +/- and Im light, but being an '85, my springs are shot, so I compensate with air.
One thing I dont like about shorter shocks, is that it changes the frame geometry same as an extended fork, or raked tripple trees would do. IMO, if you change the rear, you should change the front as well (ie lower it or rake it).

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it must be just my bike but not all vulcans have air shocks. and i dont so adding air wont help.

MOST ECONOMICAL?!?! AT $300? no thank you im not putting that kind of money into shocks for a bike
i can pick up electraglide air shocks for half that and bolt them right on

i actually think that the PO laid it down cuz the clearance between the tire and frame (right behind the upper shock bolt) is double the space on the brake side as the clutch side
therefore the oversize tire rubs on big bumps and when 2 up
so i figure id raise just a hair and stiffen it up

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
More air is not the answer, nor is a longer shock.

You need stiffer springs. CALL Progressive and tell them how much you weigh (with gear) and they will build you a set of shocks with the proper spring rate and dampening for your size.

You'll be amazed at the difference.
This will not be cheap, but they will setup the shocks perfectly for you. :smiley_th

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
to the op.. take one shock off and measure it from center of the eye to center of the eye... it should be 12.5" if stock.. but it sounds like you have the 10.5 or the 11.5 lowered shock... you can get up to 14" center to center shocks... just search ebay.. I have a set of 15" shocks.. but I think they would be too long and too weak for your application.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
You may be able to get one off those connections that they use on the double tires on an 18 wheelie.
Several years ago, my uncle gave me a set of rear air shocks for my car. I found a kit at Autozone that connected both together.

I found this @ AZ >http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Gabriel-Air-shock-hose-kit-with-air-adjustable-shocks-for-GM-self-leveling-systems-equipped-vehicles-May-require-Gabriel-adapter-kit-141248/_/N-26hv?itemIdentifier=258509_0_0_

Might worth looking into. OR, go get a Kobalt air compressor. The one I have has a digital readout, selectable air supply, and a pressure gauge. Simply set to desires PSI and it shuts off when done.

Hope I helped some.

·
Super Moderator
11,928 Posts
Well if you are saying you dont have stock shocks on the bike, offering help here is going to be a bit more difficult as we don't know whose shocks are on the bike. A photo could help.

Most aftermarket shocks are rebuildable....its possible you could just get stiffer springs. If the shocks are shorter already than stock, that might be part of your problem.

Do the shocks have any kind of preload setting?

If you think your frames bent that's not good all by itself...

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well they are 11.5 inch center of eye to eye extended. I saw a set of 02142s dyna shocks for about 60a bucks and they are 12 inch. Im wondering if that would do it or should i go 12.5 . Btw mine have no air valves and have no markings on them that i can find

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Well they are 11.5 inch center of eye to eye extended. I saw a set of 02142s dyna shocks for about 60a bucks and they are 12 inch. Im wondering if that would do it or should i go 12.5 . Btw mine have no air valves and have no markings on them that i can find
It sounds like they were swapped out at one stage. I think all the stock ones have the 4 positions on them.

Stock height is 12 I believe. You could go 12.5 and it wouldn't look funny.

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Im thinking about some stock 1600 mean streak shocks. 13in and air in them too

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i bid on a set of harley air ride touring shocks that are 13in . i will see if they work good

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Folks gotta remember also, that shock length is not the same as travel, unless mounted perpendicular to frame and swingarm. So 1/2"-1" either way from stock shouldnt noticably affect anything.
With the slightly longer shocks though, you may eventually want to go a size bigger on the front tire to compensate. I prefer raising the front a touch rather than lowering (dive). Try and see. Once weight is on them, will more than likely compress anyway.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts