Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The output from my alternator (3 yellow wires) is most to high. 100-110 VAC on all tree by 4.000 rpm. Manual says 50-80. The output from retifire, when yellow wires are connected, is 12/25 VDC on idle speed (1.000 rpm) and raising when speed up a little.
Does anyone have a solution ?

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
voltage should be 13.5 to 14.5 volts when the wires are hooked up, and engine at 3k rpm. lower voltage is expected (stock charging system) at idle.

the high AC reading could be the meter your using. not all read higher frequency (above 60 hz or so) AC correctly.

if it is infact putting out that much AC voltage, then the regulator would be working harder to get rid of the heat

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I'd make sure your stator isn't grounding out. All 3 wires should have no continuity to ground. I've seen high VAC readings when the stator was grounding out (and it would charge very little regardless).

If the stator is good, and has that high of VAC output, I'd get a MOSFET regulator to compensate.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Good stator output if you can make use of it. MOSFET r/r would be good, and maybe add some running lights.

What DC volts at the battery when running?

Wouldn't hurt to verify with another meter, as MTB mentioned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts