Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The newly purchased Vulcan is going to sit for 2mos. A lifelong friend is an actual motorcycle mechanic. He says I should drain the carbs.
The bike sat for 3+ mos before I bought it. I recently rode it for 7 mi, it ran fine. I own 6 or 8 vehicles, all but my GN are carburetor. I only start/drive them a couple times a year. Since 1988. No real problems.
I keep seafoam and xylene around all the time.
Opinions?

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Stabil fuel treatment would be ok for a month or two IF your fuel system is COMPLETELY[/B] sealed from the atmosphere (incluing the float bowl and tank cap vents.) The 10% ethanol that they put in gas now absorbs moisture and gums up. Sure, usually you can get away with several months, but a carb cleaning is not pleasant on our little V-twin.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are drained. Not much in them. Makes me wonder about the float level. I don't know how much longer I will have internet. Supposed to go of the 26th.

Once again, thanks wolfie and kelly.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
They are drained. Not much in them. Makes me wonder about the float level. I don't know how much longer I will have internet. Supposed to go of the 26th.

Once again, thanks wolfie and kelly.
If you are still online,you still need to fill the tank and add stabil or seafoam or both,will keep your fuel up to snuff for a couple of months and retard tank corrosion /rust.Fluctuations in temperature will cause a lot of condensation in an empty metal tank.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
^^^What Denny said, fill it up to max and sit it out. If you feel the need in a couple months, drain it out put in the cage and fill it back up with fresh again. In my opinion, less condensate, rust ect.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fella's. Tank shows about half full of what has to be old gas. I will try to get a jug of gas and top it off. See if I can make a bigger mess.
On the internet, just don;t know how well ATT has their act together. Where i'm going the internet is government controlled pretty much I understand.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
True about the condensation...but if empty, and the cap is left open, there can be no condensation. Think about a condenser on a still...gotta be almost airtight to work....An empty tank, left ventillated will just dry out. I did it on mine before fixing the holes in it.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I actually misread the original post...I read it as that it "sat for 2 months"...my bad....but Im still a proponent of draining the gas, then spraying a lil WD-40 into the fuel inlets on carb to keep the rubber from drying out.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
You don' say where you live or how humid the air is there.
Southern Alberta is pretty dry.
If you are on the coast you may have close to 100% humidity.

My 750 sat from June 2008 until May 2012 with a half full tank of gas while I couldn't ride after an accident. I didn't get any moisture or rust in my tank.

The first winter I didn't drain the carbs or add any fuel conditioner/stabilizer.
Second summer (2009) I found some Seafoam and added 2-3 ounces to tank, then ran engine long enough to warm engine up good and fill carb bowls with treated gas. Probably started the engine 2 or 3 times that summer and let carb bowls sit filled with gas again through the winter.

Summer of 2010 I added more Seafoam as the bike was unridden for a lot longer than I planned on, and didn't think I put in enough the previous summer. Carb bowls sat filled again through winter of 2010.

For winter storage of 2011 I decided to warm engine up and turn the fuel valve off and let it run until the carbs ran dry.

When I was finally able to ride again in May 2012, the engine took a 30 second crank, then a rest of a minute or so, and another 5-10 second crank to fill the bowls and for the engine to start. As I recall it smoked a bit and ran a little rough for few minutes, then smoothed out when I went for a ride. I think I ran the tank gauge down to about 1/4 full before filling with fresh gas and I had no fuel system troubles all summer. :)

(Now electrical gremlins are another thing. :mad:)

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I drained the carbs, made a small mess. It is done. This motorcycle sat for 3+mos before I bought it. It will sit for the next 2 mos.
I did not catch it but it was dropped. The handlebars are slightly bent. I caught that riding for a very short way. Upon inspection, there is a small road rash on the brake lever.
I live in the country about 60-65 mi from KC, Mo.
I wonder if slightly bent bars and a brake lever near nice is worth anything to anybody, I have new ones coming to a friend while I am gone.
Thanks again.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I bent my bars back, and then some...even customed the bends a lil...I dont much like the stockers...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts