Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a guy down the road from me is selling a 2002 750 for a hell of a deal, but it has 40k miles on it. He said there is nothing wrong with it. So should I take the risk buying it and then have to replace a major part as soon as it gets warm out? Help me out here people and thanks for help.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
That depends on how cheep. You can do some tests on the chagrign system and know what you have. Test the 3 stator legs and see if they are grounded or open, Should be open. put a meter on and check your voltage running with RPM up and make sure it is charging.
grab the ft brake adn make sure it has pressure.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
from what I have read on this forum.... Normally, 40K should be fine...
You would hope proper oil changes have been performed, hopefully not over-revved,
test battery charging voltage @ idle & also @ 3-4K rpm (as per this forum).
Tire condition is always something to consider. If all looks good & you purchase, you have the remaining winter to get to know your bike and perform routine mc maintenance.
WilliamTech

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,723 Posts
along with everything else stated above ^
also ask him about the splines. ask him if the splines have been lubed? if he doesn't know or gives you a funny look and asks you 'what is a "spline" ?', you may want to walk away from it. with that many miles on the bike the splines should have been lubed at least 4 times. if he tells you 'yes. they have been lubed'. ask him when was the last time and what shape were the splines in.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Take it to a motorcycle mechanic, might cost you $40.00 for someone to go over it but could save you thousands in the long run. I personally believe 40,000 miles is not anything to get worried about. It comes down to how he took care of the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help everybody if there is anything else i should be looking for let me know. And Ruger how do you check the splines?

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
along with everything else stated above ^
also ask him about the splines. ask him if the splines have been lubed? if he doesn't know or gives you a funny look and asks you 'what is a "spline" ?', you may want to walk away from it. with that many miles on the bike the splines should have been lubed at least 4 times. if he tells you 'yes. they have been lubed'. ask him when was the last time and what shape were the splines in.
And what he used to lube them with. If it wasn't Honda Moly 60 or equivalent (Guard Dog Moly, etc.,) they may still be bad even if lubed.

Thanks for the help everybody if there is anything else i should be looking for let me know. And Ruger how do you check the splines?
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

Good used replacement parts run $75-100 or so.

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
How much is he asking? I would ask if he is a regular on this forum, if he is, it is a good chance he has some idea how to take care of the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
How good of a deal? If it is too good, that alone would give me cause for concern. People don't give away good bikes. The Vulcan 750 is normally a pretty reliable bike, but it is an oddball. It is WAY more complex than any other v-twin cruiser that I know of, and there are a lot of things that CAN go wrong with it. I have 71,000 on an '02, and the only problems have been a clutch and the cam chain tensioners. Failed cam chain tensioners can destroy the engine if not fixed in time. Cam chain tensioners and final drive parts seem to be the biggest issues, I have lubed my final drive splines about 10 times. It is a time consuming process if you have never done it. First time took me a whole day and a couple of hours the next day.

I wouldn't worry about the stator nearly as much as the splines. Yes, you have to pull the engine partly out to get to it, but it is very straightforward, with the removable frame section on the right. The job might cost you $300 or so, there are over $3000 worth of parts that can get chewed up on the final drive, including the final drive gearcase, driveshaft, and front bevel drive gearcase. I bought my '02 brand new, rode it home, and did the spline lube. Even brand new there was no grease on it. There would have been damage had I waited till the scheduled time to do it.

These bikes tend to have the cylinder base gaskets fail more often than I would consider normal, IMO. The reason seems to be one of design. The coolant passages are VERY close to the edge, and the gasket is very thin around them. Look for coolant/corrosion in the V where the base of the cylinders come together.

Read through the Vulcan verses for more information on this bike and it's possible problems.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Yeah, the more details we have, the better help we can be. How much money exactly? At 40k, what do the tires look like? Gauges work? Tank dinged at all? Oh yeah, welcome to the forum! :smiley_th

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the welcome Liberty. The guy said the only thing wrong with it is that the head light is out. here's the listings from craigslist.

columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/2752710320.html
columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/2744681807.html

What do u guys think?

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
How good of a deal? If it is too good, that alone would give me cause for concern. People don't give away good bikes.
I got mine for $1,000. The throttle was sticky; it turned out to be a frayed cable. Runs like a champ.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,723 Posts
And what he used to lube them with. If it wasn't Honda Moly 60 or equivalent (Guard Dog Moly, etc.,) they may still be bad even if lubed.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274
thanks flitecontrol , I forgot about that. :doh:

and thanks to fergy , his walk-through is the bomb! :smiley_th

How good of a deal? If it is too good, that alone would give me cause for concern. People don't give away good bikes. The Vulcan 750 is normally a pretty reliable bike, but it is an oddball. It is WAY more complex than any other v-twin cruiser that I know of, and there are a lot of things that CAN go wrong with it. I have 71,000 on an '02, and the only problems have been a clutch and the cam chain tensioners. Failed cam chain tensioners can destroy the engine if not fixed in time. Cam chain tensioners and final drive parts seem to be the biggest issues, I have lubed my final drive splines about 10 times. It is a time consuming process if you have never done it. First time took me a whole day and a couple of hours the next day.

I wouldn't worry about the stator nearly as much as the splines. Yes, you have to pull the engine partly out to get to it, but it is very straightforward, with the removable frame section on the right. The job might cost you $300 or so, there are over $3000 worth of parts that can get chewed up on the final drive, including the final drive gearcase, driveshaft, and front bevel drive gearcase. I bought my '02 brand new, rode it home, and did the spline lube. Even brand new there was no grease on it. There would have been damage had I waited till the scheduled time to do it.

These bikes tend to have the cylinder base gaskets fail more often than I would consider normal, IMO. The reason seems to be one of design. The coolant passages are VERY close to the edge, and the gasket is very thin around them. Look for coolant/corrosion in the V where the base of the cylinders come together.

Read through the Vulcan verses for more information on this bike and it's possible problems.
as for your '02 VN750, jerry, that was one of the years that the VN750's were coming out of factory with no lube in/on the spines! good for you for doing it as soon as you got it home! also thanks to fergy's walk-through (which I printed out), it only took me about 2 hours the first time I did a spline lube. just another reason why this forum rocks!

That's columbus ohio!? I could possibly help you out in checking it out! I work in columbus.
if it is in Columbus, Oh., I think this is the add;
2002 kawasaki vulcan 750 for sale. Would like to sell relatively soon thus the price. Comes with saddlebags and windshield 40k miles no issues other than the headlight is out. Starts right up. shaft driven (no chain) and has positive neutral finder. I'm looking to buy a sport bike. First come first serve however I will be away until Sunday so please email me.

bike is black and gray.

Runs..no issues. Would like to free up before winter. Price is obo but only accepting reasonable offers

price is $1600 or OBO

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Do you know if they still have that bike?
No, I don't know if they still have it or not. I just sent them a text. We'll see what happens.

They're roughly 30 miles from where I live. Might be a bit of a trip for you if your in columbus.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts