Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
I did find this: https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=170-80r15-150-90

Type in the correct current size and switch the view to "overlay" and it'll make more sense. The difference seems to more in width than height.

The rest of the chart doesn't really matter especially the speedometer changes.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
I wish I could see a side-by-side comparison of the 170/80-15 next to the 150/90/15. If that's what you run Spockster then I know it'll fit mine as mine still has the factory tire-to-fender clearance.

I'm also curious about the difference in tire weights.

The main thrust behind making such a change for me is to get better freeway MPG/range.
There's some comparison pics in the thread I linked earlier, they're fuzzy now but you can see the height difference.. I see I haven't restored the pics I put in there.

If you search around the web, there may be some tire weights listed somewhere, I've used them for atv tires.

There would be some rpm drop with a taller tire, but I don't know if it's enough to give much change in mpg. Don't think anyone has made that comparison.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Because of the minimal diameter change I think the MPG change probably wouldn't even be noticeable. I'll probably stick with the stock rear tire size then, but I do run the 110/90-19 on the front anyway.

I'm right on the edge of deciding to change mine out before I go down to the annual HCMR. I'm at 6K on this set and I think they are expected to see maybe 7K longevity. I'd hate for them to crap out so far away from home even though right now they seem to have lots of tread left. I'll put on much more than 1K between now and then.

This is a good thread for me also to think about different brands aside from Frank, the thread starter. Since the past two years have seen me getting in more miles per year than the previous years I might just opt for a longer lasting tire set.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Info I saw said that if you oversize one tire, you should oversize both, or there may be some adverse handling changes. Haven't tried that myself.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
I've not noticed any detrimental changes to handling (due to tires) at all since putting the current set of tires on (6K miles ago). The only time I did notice a handling change was solely due to the less-than-ideal positioning of my loadout at that time. Repositioning of the load cleared that up.

I'm not concerned about a 110/90-19 tire on the front and stock on the back. In fact I think it handles better with the larger front tire. It no longer reacts to tar snakes or ruts, or at the very least reacts FAR less with the 110 tire on the front.

As for the rear tire, since you, Spockster, said that you run the larger tires, have you noticed that it rides better?

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
Well if you want the best mileage, a skinnier tire would be better than a fat one do to rolling resistance. But then a taller one would lower your rpm at a constant speed. But then you’ll need more fuel to get there. ;)

Keep in mind here we are talking 2-4 mpg differences at the most. So unless you’re traveling cross country you’re not going to save much $$ per mile.
I’d easily trade a few pennies for better traction and better braking you get from
a wider tire.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Hard for me to say, I only rode about 3 miles before doing all the mods.

On tire width, keep in mind, the actual contact patch of the tread is approx. 3" or so at any given time, this is how we get chicken strips. The tire would have to be flat to be using the full width of the tread on any tire, except a Darkside tire.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,193 Posts
Info I saw said that if you oversize one tire, you should oversize both, or there may be some adverse handling changes. Haven't tried that myself.
Not that much of a difference. I ran a 110 on the front and a 140 on the back before and handling was fine

Sent from my 100005206 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanx for the heads up..I found a place in Quebec, thats reasonable.. and I can go and have them installed instead of mail order..
cheers!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts