Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm needing new tires. heard great things about the shinkos. problem is that they dont make one in the same size that i have right now (150/90-15), but they do make a 150/80-15. that is a shorter tire than i have right now, and i actually want to go taller. at 70mph i'm right around 5K rpm, and i'd like to drop that down a little bit. anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Do they have a 170/80? That should work for you too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would the width make a difference? i've ridden a bike with a really wide back tire and it didn't handle for **** lol

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm running 170/80 and haven't noticed any problems in handling? How about some of you other guys that are running 170's? Any problems?

Was a tight fit getting it past the final drive, but not too bad. I put mine on after letting out most of the air pressure so the sidewall would go past the final drive easier.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
mine is on its way to me so i cant tell you yet but i havent heard a bad thing about the shinko's on here yet

mine cost 86.99 plus about 6.99 shipping from motorcycle-superstore.com

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
just got my shinko 170/80/15 today and off the rim it looks smaller than the stock size but on the rim it looks almost exactly the same

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I'm running 170/80 and haven't noticed any problems in handling? How about some of you other guys that are running 170's? Any problems?

Was a tight fit getting it past the final drive, but not too bad. I put mine on after letting out most of the air pressure so the sidewall would go past the final drive easier.
Same here. I'll stay with the 170/80/15 size.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The 170/80 shinko gives me the same, 5k @ 70mph.

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
I just ordered a Shinko 170/80 at cycle gear. It cost a few bucks more but I'll save some on shipping and on mounting. I then went on eBay and ordered brake shoes so I can change them as we'll as the spline lube in one shot.

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Well I have the wheel with the new tire in the back of my truck ansd can't wait to get home and put it on. Good thing I checked the splines because an o ring had blown and I had lost all the grease. The splines were reddish so I think they had just started to rust.

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Well I've put 120 city miles on the Shinko 170/80/15 and I'm very happy. I can't seem to scuff the very edges of the tread however. Not scraping the pegs but leaning over pretty good in the turns...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
just got my shinko 170/80/15 today and off the rim it looks smaller than the stock size but on the rim it looks almost exactly the same
The difference in sidewall height calculates out to be only 1mm.

For a 150/90-15 tire the calculation is:
150 mm tread width X 90% aspect ratio = 135 mm sidewall height.

For a 170/80 - 15 tire:
170 mm X 80% = 136 mm sidewall height.

Probably indistinguishable difference unless you have Mark I Calibrated Eyeballs. ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Well I've put 120 city miles on the Shinko 170/80/15 and I'm very happy. I can't seem to scuff the very edges of the tread however. Not scraping the pegs but leaning over pretty good in the turns...
Some parts of the tire will never see wear... The bike runs out of clearance before the tire does. This of course is good....you don't want it the other way around...;)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
Some parts of the tire will never see wear... The bike runs out of clearance before the tire does. This of course is good....you don't want it the other way around...;)
aint that the truth

1 - 16 of 16 Posts