Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to order a few parts for my bike and I figure it's time to replace the tires..

The ones I'm looking at are the Shinko 230's. It sounds like a lot of you guys here like them for the price.. The thing I need some help with is size. I want to go big or as big as I can.. I was thinking about the 180.. Don't really care the it's H rated it's never going to see even 110 mph :) But how's it fit is what I really want to know.. Was it a real PITA, did you need to do anything more to get it on the bike once it's mounted??? If you bought the 180 do you wish you bought the 170?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did that already. I didn't see anything about up sizing. I also read a bunch of threads about tires here but still not much about the 180

·
1992 VN 750
109 Posts
Not sure about the 180...I have the Metzeler 880 170/80 on the rear of mine and there is about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch clearance on both sides. No idea if a 180 would even fit..depends on the actual tire. The 170/80 tire fills up the wheel well looks right for this bike.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Not sure about the 180...I have the Metzeler 880 170/80 on the rear of mine and there is about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch clearance on both sides. No idea if a 180 would even fit..depends on the actual tire. The 170/80 tire fills up the wheel well looks right for this bike.
Just double-checking: Are you saying that I could put a 170 80 15 on my bike? Someone I know moved up a bike and has this brand new one laying around to sell me. THANKS.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Yup. I have a new Shinko 170/80-15 ready to put on, but my wife has other ideas about what I do with my time these days.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I just replaced my 4year old Metzlers with Shinkos at the suggestion of my mechanic. So far I like them and they were more than $100 cheaper for the set than the Metzlers.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
I went with the oversized Meztler ME 880 Marathons on the front and back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts