Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UGH!!!

I've had my bike for just over a year and I looks like I'll be shopping for my THIRD rear tire. And not because I've worn them out, but because I keep picking up road hardware (nails). I was reading the vulcan verses and saw that I can run either 140/90/15 or 150/90/15 size tires. The 140s are about ten bucks cheaper generally speaking. Will any performance changes I experience with the 140s be enough of a reason to spend the extra money and go with the 150s or will I be fine running the 140s?

I can't believe my luck, I wonder if the more expensive tires are nail repellent :doh:

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Generally I have found that most of us don't drop down from the 150, in fact many move up to the 170. I have moved up my front tire to the 110 so my speedo is a little closer to accurate, and may move up to the 170 on the rear to help drop the RPMs.

Surprisingly, you can get the 170 rear from Metzler cheaper than the 150 right now on motorcycle superstore.

Also, many have recommended putting RideOn in your tires to help prevent a flat tire.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I'll be sizing up since I am already having problems with my centerstand rubbing against my 150. I have aftermarket pipes so the spacer is gone and I have yet to figure out a suitable solution.

And as far as ride-on goes, I'm still on the fence about it, but it's not out of the question.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
I say do the ride-on thing because a blow-out on your bike could cost you your life. You're already getting lots of nails in your tires, so don't take another chance. BTW, if you size down on your rear tire you will experience less traction and this too can be dangerous. Stay with the stock sized rear tire for safety reasons. That's my humble advice.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
If you can bend a piece of flat bar to make a stop, I would say 1" x 1/8", It will help a lot. I have V&H Cruzers on mine and that's basically what they did to make the center stand stop

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I say do the ride-on thing because a blow-out on your bike could cost you your life. You're already getting lots of nails in your tires, so don't take another chance. BTW, if you size down on your rear tire you will experience less traction and this too can be dangerous. Stay with the stock sized rear tire for safety reasons. That's my humble advice.
I agree with Rick. Sizing down is a bad idea. Either stay stock or size up.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I have a lot of experience with flats. Unless a tire is badly damaged, there is no way I would replace it because of a flat. A simple puncture can be easily repaired with a plug from a tubeless tire repair kit. I have run tires with as many as 3 plugs in them before. If I had to replace a tire everytime it got punctured, I could not afford to ride motorcycles.

The Vulcan 750 has tubeless tires, which do not blow out unless severely damaged. A simple nail puncture may not even cause a flat. I have found objects in my tires after I got back home that had punctured the tire, but the tire did not go flat, because the thick rubber of the tire sealed around the object creating a temporary plug. Even when a tubeless tire does lose air, it is usually very slowly, giving you plenty of time to safely stop and pull off the road.

I do recommend Ride On, and use it myself. It makes a tubeless tire virtually flatproof. I also recommend only the stock tire sizes on any bike. If you do decide to go with bigger tires, make sure they don't hit anything, even at full suspension compression, that they are balanced well (the bigger and heavier the tire, the more important proper balance becomes. It will probably also require quite a bit more weight to properly balance it than a smaller tire). Once you are sure about those 2 things, ride the bike quite a bit in a fairly safe area (no traffic) to see how it handles. Handling will not likely be as good as stock, but it may still be in the safe range. You will just have to find out. You don't want to be caught in a really sticky situation when you discover a serious handling problem. Jerry.

Reactions: readparse

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tire I am running now has a plug from a nail. I checked it today with some water and noticed it is slowly leaking air. Does that mean it will fail eventually? And can I re-plug it?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I agree with Jerry here.
However, I do run the next size tire up and have no problems with it. I kept the standard size for the front.
And yes I would replug it.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
You need to ship your plugged tires to me. I'll put them on my bike and report back to you how many additional miles I got out of them. Or send them unplugged and I'll add Ride-On and see how far they go. If I get enough takers, I'll probably never have to buy another tire!:pepper:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts