Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to put a white letter tire on the back of my Vulcan, however I can't find any - my tire is a 150/90-15 - Closest I can find is a 130/90-16

Will it fit?

·
Registered
774 Posts
No. You have some wiggle room on the aspect ratio or the width of the tire, but absolutely none on the rim size of the tire. Try some online shops, or just buy a blackwall/black letter tire and paint the letters yourself.

You should stick to the stock size.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
For oversize, you can use these with no problem and the oversize front will make the speedo correct.

110/90 - 19 front
170/80 - 15 rear

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really wanted a white letter tire on the rear - I like the Pirelli Route MT 66 (Route) white letter tire, but nobody has them anymore - Any one know where I could get a white letter tire? I just like the "look"

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
I see the MT66 on ebay, but they're all blackwall just taking a quick look.

Haven't really seen very many white letters since the Dunlop Qualifier.

Here's Dunlop and Bridgestone, but you'll have to check for your sizes. https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/raised-white-letters-motorcycle-tires/t11ap689

As long as the tire has some usable letters, a white paint stick is pretty easy to use. Those blackwall Pirellis have billboard lettering on them. "ROUTE 66"

Oversized rear Pirelli - https://www.ebay.com/itm/170-80-15-77H-Pirelli-MT66-Route-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire/333093382808?epid=171214970&hash=item4d8de9aa98:g:hCsAAOSwsExcdVXy:rk:1:pf:1

Whitewalls are easier to find.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
I really wanted a white letter tire on the rear - I like the Pirelli Route MT 66 (Route) white letter tire, but nobody has them anymore - Any one know where I could get a white letter tire? I just like the "look"
Bikebandit.com has the MT 66 in stock. But they're not white letter.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I really want to put a white letter tire on the back of my Vulcan, however I can't find any - my tire is a 150/90-15 - Closest I can find is a 130/90-16

Will it fit?
Buy the correct size tire and purchase a white paint pen at O'Reilly's or AutoZone or NAPA or whatever auto parts store you have, then fill in or outline the letters on the tire as you like.

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts

Will it fit?
No. You have some wiggle room on the aspect ratio or the width of the tire, but absolutely none on the rim size of the tire. Try some online shops, or just buy a blackwall/black letter tire and paint the letters yourself.

You should stick to the stock size.
if you stick with a stock (150/90-15) rear tire, take a look at this;
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/zz25216/dunlop-k525-qualifier-150-90-15-rear-tire

·
Registered
117 Posts
For oversize, you can use these with no problem and the oversize front will make the speedo correct.

110/90 - 19 front
170/80 - 15 rear
how big can you go on the back without a lot of modifications to make them fit? i'd really like a higher fifth gear for freeway cruising, but i hear that's next to impossible. My commute to work is 95% highway, so if i can keep the rpms down, it could improve my mpg.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
170/80-15

Sent from my A502DL using Tapatalk

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Question on tire size

110/90 - 19 front
170/80 - 15 rear
It was my understanding that the first number (talking front tire here) of 110 would indicate the width and the second number of 90 would indicate the height, or something to do with the ratio of height to width.

So a 110/90-19 tire (which is what I run) would be wider than the stock 100/90-19 tire. 90% of 110 is less than 90% of 100, so I don't see how that would bring the speedo more into accuracy since the need would be to enlarge the height rather than the width.

I like the 110 width but it didn't do squat to correct my speedo. Try as I might, I have yet to find anyone that makes a 110/100-19 tire (unless you want off-road knobbies).

Because the speedometer is still off I simply disregard my speedo and use my GPS for MPH readings.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
I think my math is wrong. Ooops.

Still, the height increase is so minimal that it can't do much to increase speedo accuracy.

Does anyone know of a 110/100-19 front tire? (Is that even possible? Maybe a 110/95-19?) Or would that over-compensate causing the speedometer to read as slow instead of fast?

I've never liked the metric methodology of tire sizing. I still think of car tires as E's, F's, L's, M's, etc.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
It was my understanding that the first number (talking front tire here) of 110 would indicate the width and the second number of 90 would indicate the height, or something to do with the ratio of height to width.

So a 110/90-19 tire (which is what I run) would be wider than the stock 100/90-19 tire. 90% of 110 is less than 90% of 100, so I don't see how that would bring the speedo more into accuracy since the need would be to enlarge the height rather than the width.

I like the 110 width but it didn't do squat to correct my speedo. Try as I might, I have yet to find anyone that makes a 110/100-19 tire (unless you want off-road knobbies).

Because the speedometer is still off I simply disregard my speedo and use my GPS for MPH readings.
With the stock setup the speedo reads 5mph faster than actual speed. With the oversize tire mine was within 1mph of the GPS reading, and dead-on with radar screens and radar guns.

Don't forget the N size tires, N50-15, in other words, huge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts