Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my tire was slowly losing air and I decided to find out why. I found this in the tire. The tire is fairly new. So should I patch it from the inside or replace it?

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Proper way is to patch on the inside.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Continental, Michelin, Pirelli, and Shinko say don't bother on our tires, even in an emergency. They consider the tire junk after a puncture and suggest calling a tow truck to get home, then replacing the tire with a new one. They've instructed their dealers to not repair their brand tire due to liability.

Avon, Bridgestone, Dunlop, and Metzeler say punctures can be plugged in an emergency situation, and a repair that both fills the wound (plug) and seals the damage (patch inside) that is installed by a professional can even be considered permanent if specific criteria are met. Avon for instance specifies that the hole be no larger than 3mm, while Dunlop allows up to 6.8mm. Both specify that the hole be round. There are other specs on where the hole is located: farther out on the tire means more belt flex and more stress on the patch.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
I've plugged tires with success. I use the "sticky string" type plugs along with patch cement. If you can, I'd also suggest trimming the plug on the inside of the tire and covering the spot with a patch.

I've known many folks that simply used a plug and never had any problems. A few reported a very slow leak, but no one reported a severe blow out or anything.
Tire companies of course want you to replace the tire, and many will do this...(I would if the tire has a hazzard warranty)

I also suggest you put Ride-On in your tires. (Especially if you don't do an internal patch, just a plug)
Tire Sealant | Tire Protection System - Ride-On

This stuff isn't really meant to seal tires after a puncture, but to be put in the tire before one occurs. But it would be a good backup for your plug.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
There's also a 'plug patch'.

Have Ride-On in my tires, but the front developed a bead leak and it doesn't help with that. PITA airing up for every ride.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Patched from the inside, lubed my splines and off I go! thanks all for your comments!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts