Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 KN750 I purchased in 2015 with only 2046 original miles on it. It has served me well over the last few years, even though I have not put as many miles on "Scooter Gurl" as i would have liked. Before this year's rides start I will be putting new tires on it as even though the originals look good and have qood tread. (I just don't trust 15 year old tires.) I looked at the new Michelin C IIIs and while they seem to be great on paved roads, reviewers say they are terrible on gravel and dirt. Riding here in Mittenland I often get stuck riding "unimproved" roads just to get from A to B. So, I am asking for your experience with tires that work well all round and get fairly good mileage. Thanks for your help, and ride safely.
Oldugly

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Shinko HD777 are a favorite of mine for good wear/handling and price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I had these on my "maybe" list, but my 'frugal genes" thought they may not be good for more than a couple of years. I will give them a shot.
Oldugly

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I ran the Shinko 230 and got 6000 miles out of them.

The 777 is on my list for the next set, it has a higher weight rating.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I was a tiny bit iffy before purchase on the Shinko 230’s I put on in 2017, but so far they’ve been good. My rear is starting to get a center flat from straight road highway riding, but they still ride well and have tread left. I don’t ride a ton and my bike lives outside so I’ll be due for new tires from age before I wear them out. I think they make a solid tire and wouldn’t hesitate to buy again.

this is a cruiser after all, so chances are they’ll never see their limits

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
The rear on mine is smooth all the way across with fairly wide chicken strips, but it still rides just fine.

The front did develop a bead leak, which the Ride On balance juice wouldn't seal, so I'm just replacing it.

Next up ... Ziptie tire mounting!

Curious where you found the 777s? Had trouble finding the oversize when I was looking last summer.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I found these, thinking about them for next purchase. I’ll be due sometime this coming season.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I bought my SR777's from Ruger 2019, just mounted them last week. I cleaned up the rims and polished with mothers. If they ride as good as they look I'll be a happy pappy!

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I like the tread pattern on the 777 vs the 230.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,777 Posts
I bought my SR777's from Ruger 2019, just mounted them last week. I cleaned up the rims and polished with mothers. If they ride as good as they look I'll be a happy pappy!
Did someone say, "Ruger"?!
Ah, yes, 2019, way back when life was NORMAL! so, you just mounted those tires last week?! well, please, give us an review on how those tires work out for you. I bought them dew to what others said about them (all positive), I never got the chance to try them out for myself.

Curious where you found the 777s? Had trouble finding the oversize when I was looking last summer.
I found them at "Rocky Mountain ATV". That's always the first place I look for motorcycle tires. they seem to have the best prices, fastest shipping and have tires in stock.
I just checked, they have them in stock. but the front tire is stock size. 😕

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Did someone say, "Ruger"?!
Ah, yes, 2019, way back when life was NORMAL! so, you just mounted those tires last week?! well, please, give us an review on how those tires work out for you. I bought them dew to what others said about them (all positive), I never got the chance to try them out for myself.

I found them at "Rocky Mountain ATV". That's always the first place I look for motorcycle tires. they seem to have the best prices, fastest shipping and have tires in stock.
I just checked, they have them in stock. but the front tire is stock size. 😕
That's what I ran into, hard to get both the oversized. I did look at Rocky Mountain and most of the others, probably time for a new search.

Had a pair on the watch list at ebay but didn't buy since I wasn't getting on my feet as quick as I hoped. That pair was about $158 delivered, bet they're higher now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts