Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have any recommendation for a good tire pump (powered or manual) for use at home? Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Any one have any recommendation for a good tire pump (powered or manual) for use at home? Thanks.
For tires I use a Campbell Hausfield with adjustable pressure settings. For shocks I use a H-D hand pump...

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
For tires I use a Campbell Hausfield with adjustable pressure settings. For shocks I use a H-D hand pump...
Ditto on the compressors.

I got the rear t/s relocation kit you suggested, absolutely great! Thanks!

Did you relocate your helmet locks? I think I see that in one of your photos.
If so, how did you move them?

Thanks!

Jon

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll check them out. BTW, is H-D as in Harley D...?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought my air pump that you plug into a cigarette lighter at Walmart for like $12. Not the strongest but great for when you only need to add few pounds to get your inflation right. The gas stations here in Hawaii are all starting to charge .50 just to use their air pumps and others have just removed the air pumps all together.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I got one of those cheap 12 volt ones, then proceeded to remove the plastic housing, leaving only the cord, hose and pump.
I originally did that so I could fit it into the airbox on my dirtbike.
But when taking a ride on the Vulcan, I'll put it in the saddlebags. Takes up very little room, yet does the job just fine when nothing else is around.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks, I'll check them out. BTW, is H-D as in Harley D...?
Yes it does, I could pick it up locally instead of having to pay shipping from other sources. Cruiser customizing has one but I didn't have a big enough order to get the free shipping. Shipping was almost as much as the pump, therefore cheaper to buy the H-D pump locally.

And helmet locks relocate with KAW saddlebag supports...

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm kinda leaning towards the B&D AS1300 120V for use at home. Here in CA, I believe they passed a law where stations have to provide air for free. My problem is that almost all of the gas station nozzles here are straight with a 2" stiff brass collar so you can't get them onto the valve stem. I plan to get right angle stems at the next tire change. BTW, this may be a dumb question but... the 12V units sound great but what if you can't get access to a cigarette lighter socket? Can you rig it so you can run off the bike's juice?

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it does, I could pick it up locally instead of having to pay shipping from other sources. Cruiser customizing has one but I didn't have a big enough order to get the free shipping. Shipping was almost as much as the pump, therefore cheaper to buy the H-D pump locally.

And helmet locks relocate with KAW saddlebag supports...
Kewl. There's a Harley shop near my work. I'll check them out also.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
BTW, this may be a dumb question but... the 12V units sound great but what if you can't get access to a cigarette lighter socket? Can you rig it so you can run off the bike's juice?
The only dumb questions here are the ones that aren't asked !!

I forgot to mention, I removed the cig plug and put a couple alligator clamps on the wires.
I had to do that for the dirtbike, but on the Vulcan, I made a plug that attaches to the Battery Tender plug that has a cig lighter socket, that way I can charge my cell phone too. I also made one that can be used like jumper cables, with the Tender plug on one end, and again, a couple alligator clamps on the other.

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only dumb questions here are the ones that aren't asked !!

I forgot to mention, I removed the cig plug and put a couple alligator clamps on the wires.
I had to do that for the dirtbike, but on the Vulcan, I made a plug that attaches to the Battery Tender plug that has a cig lighter socket, that way I can charge my cell phone too. I also made one that can be used like jumper cables, with the Tender plug on one end, and again, a couple alligator clamps on the other.
You made a plug? Wow! If you have a chance to snap a pic of that I'd love to see it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Wallmart sells a "Trailer plug power tap" Which is a cigarette lighter/power tap that has a plug that fits the battery tender plug. No need to fabricate. Cost me 5 something. No more than 6 bucks anyway. Great for charging phones/MP3 players, running air pumps etc.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
The plug ends of a Battery Tender look like those in the first pic below, which are available at Radio Shack for, at most, a couple bucks a pair. I used them for the cig. plug, as well as a small set of jumper cables.

Wallmart sells a "Trailer plug power tap" Which is a cigarette lighter/power tap that has a plug that fits the battery tender plug. No need to fabricate. Cost me 5 something. No more than 6 bucks anyway. Great for charging phones/MP3 players, running air pumps etc.

I got one of those for my truck, which is what gave me the idea for making one, seeing as I also had a spare cig. plug sitting around. The second pic below is similar to one of those, but with different plug ends.

The third pic is similar to the jumper cables I made, but again, with different plug ends.

Attachments

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fantastic! The Walmart part sounds like the best option for a handyman, (not), like me. I've already got the BT quick-connect pigtail installed. Thank you guys. You're the best.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts