Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out what a good tire pressure is for different types of riding. The Vulcan book says it's supposed to be 28 front/30 rear (32 rear if rider+load is greater than 215). But should I adjust those for different types of riding? Like for slab riding, should I up the pressures a bit to get improved gas mileage, like 32/34? And for twisties, should I drop it a bit for better grip and feel, like maybe 26/28? Or should I just stick with one pressure for everything?

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Really shouldn't need to adjust the air pressure at all. If you lower to gain traction, you lose tire life. If you add pressure, you lose traction and gain tire life. If you were drag racing, then by all means, drop that rear tire pressure. I'd stick to what the book says.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Actually, tha manual says 28 for both front and rear...32 rear if with a load (eg. : the ol lady)...a lower pressure front than rear is reverse what Ive been taught and have been doing for years...I normally keep the front 2 lbs higher than the rear. Varries with the tires you use too though...and Ive been known to lower slightly when I know Im gonna be on some rough roads (not more than 2 lbs less though).
Best/proper thing with tire pressure, REGARDLESS of what the manual states, is to inflate to a proper profile. Manual also only states for Dunlops or Metz's, btw.

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Way up pressure for me!!

:pepper:What Wolfie says, I personally have the Michelin continental II's on mine and they are at 41 psi front and rear, that is what is on the tires. They grip great and ride better. I at first thought that was too much but the ride is a lot better now. and It feels safer.

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
^sorry... But stock tires on the Vulcan were either Dunlop or Bridgestones. Metzler tires (Marathons)require a higher pressure (36 front 42 rear I think)

As most of the bikes out there likely have something other than stock tires now.....(if you have original tires on your bike you need to get rid of them)....So...
.... to answer this question properly you need to tell us what tires are on your bike. You really can't go by the manual unless you have stock tires.....

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, tha manual says 28 for both front and rear...32 rear if with a load (eg. : the ol lady)...a lower pressure front than rear is reverse what Ive been taught and have been doing for years...I normally keep the front 2 lbs higher than the rear. Varries with the tires you use too though
The manual I have (the service manual) says 28/30, and 28/32 if rider+passenger/load is greater than 215. And lower front is how EVERYONE I've known that rides says they have their tires. It's just a matter of how much lower depending on the bike and/or tires.

I personally have the Michelin continental II's on mine and they are at 41 psi front and rear, that is what is on the tires.
I'm pretty sure what is printed on the tires is the "maximum load" pressure, not the recommended pressure.

Metzler tires (Marathons)require a higher pressure (36 front 42 rear I think)

So... to answer this question properly you need to tell us what tires are on your bike. You really can't go by the manual unless you have stock tires.....
Where would I find out the manufacturer's recommended pressure then? 36/42 is WAY different from what the Vulcan service manual says with 28/30, so how would one know that or find that out.

On mine I have a Bridgestone Spitfire 11F front and Bridgestone Exedra G526 rear (the tires that came off the crashed bike; they seemed fine and had very good tread so didn't want them to go to waste).

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
The pressures I listed for the marathon tires were taken off the Metzler tire website.

Again I'll stress that the manuals recommendations are only for the stock tires. I ran 29 front 32 rear in my bike, as after a week or two of experimenting these showed to work the best for me.

There's been many threads on this subject through the years and I know for a fact the Metz 880 takes more air.

You can run the MAX pressure listed on the tire, but it may make the ride harsher and might not be the best for overall handling.

Your best bet is to find what the TIRE manufacturer recommends... If they have one...

I did a search for the Spitfire tire and only turned up this edited email from Bridgestone to a Honda owner:

"You should use the pressures reccomended by Honda as a minimum and the pressure listed on the tire as a maximum (which it is for all tires. Try 32 psi as a starting point... "
(The bike in question was a CX500)
Searching online can give you many answers here. But the response above seems a fair one. The Exceddera was a stock tire, so the 30-32 psi suggested for it seems good.
The spitfire seems to take a bit more air, but I've not seen any reccomendations for the VN750 from Bridgestone.

An email to them might help, but do keep in mind there is NO specfic answer here, just a
"Reccomendation" on what to start with as the type of riding you do, the load on the bike, and even the roads themselves are all factors. Not to mention what you want out of the tire... The best handling or the best gas mileage.
I always pick handling...

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
RE Mine are the highest psi because...

I ran the stock crappy dunlops at 28 and 32, when I got the continentals I run at 40-41, Max pressure is 42 on the tire rating, but I have a lot of extra weight in accessories and saddlebags ect. and crash bar, homemade rear rack brackets extra drivelights I carry about 90 extra lbs, thus my optimum setting for pressure is 40 psi. I also weigh 180 lbs...So they are all different for everyone with other than stock tires and weights.

·
Registered
185 Posts
:pepper:What Wolfie says, I personally have the Michelin continental II's on mine and they are at 41 psi front and rear, that is what is on the tires. They grip great and ride better. I at first thought that was too much but the ride is a lot better now. and It feels safer.
Tire pressure on the tire is only the maximum tire pressure allowed and definitely not the operating pressure.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Tire pressure on the tire is only the maximum tire pressure allowed and definitely not the operating pressure.
Not unless you were trying to meet the tires' max weight limit. When weight increases, so does tire pressure.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I follow the tires, cause the MOM (motorcycle owner manual) only works for the stock tires.

My elete 3's I think say 35 - 40PSI at full load, I can check if anybody likes... not real sure, but I run 32 PSI in both, there about.

As for loosing traction, dry roads on a cruiser, I dare anybody to loose traction on a decent tire, better yet, don't take that dare... I know you will melt the floor board / foot peg off before it comes to that... (personal experience)

kenny

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I'm running Kenda Kruz tires now. Great tires. 34lbs front ,38lbs rear. After 8000 miles the tread is not even half worn, front and back.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Excess tire pressure

Not unless you were trying to meet the tires' max weight limit. When weight increases, so does tire pressure.
I agree that when weight increases so should the pressure. But 41 pounds is way too much. Proof of that will show up when the center tread of the tire wears out way too soon compared to the rest of the tires tread. That guy that weighs 180 pounds and has 50 pounds of cargo might want to increase his pressure by a couple of PSI, but no way should he increase it by 11 PSI.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I'm running Kenda Kruz tires now. Great tires. 34lbs front ,38lbs rear. After 8000 miles the tread is not even half worn, front and back.
kenda cruz huh? I wonder if they make them in my size, i have ben using the Dunlop E3's and have been getting between 11K to 14K out of them, I have gone through a few now and the average is about 11K rear and 13K front.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
kenda cruz huh? I wonder if they make them in my size, i have ben using the Dunlop E3's and have been getting between 11K to 14K out of them, I have gone through a few now and the average is about 11K rear and 13K front.
Kenda makes most sizes. You seem to get more mileage out of the Dunlops than most people. I'm done with Dunlop and the same for many riders I ride with.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I got Kendas on mine Merc....I would not take turns with mine the way you do with yours, lol....

And to make it clear, I have ALWAYS stressed to use an inflation profile for proper inflation...manuals, and mfgs recs are idiocy, because the same tire may fit 100 different bikes with extreme varying curb weights...I merely stated what the manual did, because that was the querry.

Theres another thread in here somewhere showing how to properly check your tire profile....its THE ONLY RIGHT WAY...

Also....say la live in New Mexico...Albaquerque...in the morning when its cool, you check the tire pressure, and its 32....just what you wanted....you ride to Arizona and back, averaging 65mph....temps outside are nearing 100....is your tire still gonna be reading 32 lb/sq in ???...fook no....the air inside will expand due to temps, road friction, and ambient off the macadam...you'll be around 40psi or beeter when ya check...

And BTW, Metzlers WERE std eq in some areas...mebbe just Europe and Canada...but Ive seen it in print, in a VN spec sheet/serv manual, etc...but yes, generally were either Bridgestones or Dunlops...Metz WERE listed somewhere though....when I find it, will scan it....

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Kenda makes most sizes. You seem to get more mileage out of the Dunlops than most people. I'm done with Dunlop and the same for many riders I ride with.
dunlop e3's are not made for the size on the 750's i dont think.

the dunlop 404 is a joke compared to the e3

kenny

1 - 18 of 18 Posts