Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently there was a discussion about replacing the tire valve caps with tire pressure valve stem caps (or some similar name).

My questions:
1. Do these really work? (i.e. How accurate are they?)
2. Do you just leave them on the bike like a regular tire valve cap?
3. Is there a preferred brand?
4. Where do you get them?

(I know that there was a brief discussion about this on a recent thread, but I can't find it.)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5209

Here's the thread, Charlie. Some auto manufacturers have been selling cars with them as "standard" equipment now; I found mine at NAPA, although I'd never seen them there before - grabbed 'em, cause it seems like a good idea.

As you'll see in the thread, there's some debate more about tire pressure than the effectiveness of these things. If you're riding 30, 32, or 34 (I'll see if they have other psi's), I think they work great. How they work is by depressing the stem on the Schrader valve, releasing pressure into the cap. As your tire pressure goes down, the color-coded things in the cap drop accordingly - that is, the red, yellow, and green markers all shootup at the proper pressure (say, 30 psi); if you start running low - 29 or, 28ish, the green thing sinks exposing the yellow. And past a point (hopefully not one of no return), the yellow marker sinks and the red one is exposed.

As I noted in response to one of Dianna's posts, you've gotta get the cap all the way on since it's designed to release pressure from the valve stem. So, if you put it on partway, you'll soon be riding a flat tire (ergo, best to put it on the night before you're riding so you can make sure you're not in the red in the a.m.).

Personally, I like 'em. There's no excuse for me now to say I didn't know my tire was low (I check psi maybe once a week, but not before every ride)...plus, our bikes are a pain in the behonkus to get to with the pressure gauge. So, win-win in my book. They are expensive, but worth it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought mine at Wallmart. I like the Idea of them but not ready to say go out and buy it. Mine did not seem to alter tire balance.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I got mine from cruiser customizing.com and like them, easy check. Mine will change at 1 psi off to yellow, and red at 3 psi off. I will have to look to see what pressure caps I am using they are different front and rear.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I've seen several different kinds of LED ones also.
And not those tire flys, they were pressure indicating caps.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Yeah- but did the cap tell you the tire was flat? :doh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts