Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy again, I'm like a bad penny I just keep showing up :)

I bought a new rear tire for my bike a couple of weeks ago and discovered a small thin nail in it the other day (just my luck). I took it to the shop where I bought the tire and the guy put a plug in it. The plug is in the dead center of the tire between the tread. He said it would be fine. Has anyone ever plugged a tire and not had success with it? I'm trying to err on the side of caution, I'm sure you understand.

Thanks for any info.

Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't say I've ever heard of any shop plugging a motorcycle tire. I've heard excuses to NOT do it ranging from insurance and liability issues to just the mechanic themselves not trusting a patch job as well as they would a new tire. I don't think I personally would ride on a tire that's been plugged. Maybe it would be safer with some of that slime or ride-on stuff i've seen threads about on here? Maybe it'll be ok being on the rear tire, and in the center of the contact patch, but me personally, I'd rather spend the money for a new tire than trust my life to a $10 patch job...

·
Registered
93 Posts
a plug is only something to get you out of a bind. take it to another shop and have them pull the tire off the wheel and put a patch on.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I rode on a plug for 3 years. Possibly dumb luck but I always felt if the plug was installed properly it would work.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
it depends on the type of plug. There are mushroom plugs that have to be installed from the inside which riders have good luck with.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, I appreciate all the replies. :smiley_th

There's a guy I work with who's been plugging his own tires for years. He says he's never had a problem with them. However I may still take it in and have the tire patched from the inside for my own peace of mind.

·
Registered
93 Posts
you wil sleep better i assure you

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I've never had a tire plug come out on my truck, even when 4 wheelin' it.
But, I don't often carry a spare tire on the bike, and there is only two tires, so if it were mine, I'd feel safer if the tire was patched from the inside.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the bike in and had a mushroom plug put in. While he had the wheel off I had him check the splines also. They were in great shape which I was very relieved to see. I'm feelin' good about this bike and all I want to do is ride. I'm 57 goin' on 30. Havin' me some FUN!!

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I am not for behind you on age. I and another friend are planning a 600 mile round trip for two weeks from now. Going to the Texas hill country.
I have run plugs and patches both.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"I am not for behind you on age. I and another friend are planning a 600 mile round trip for two weeks from now. Going to the Texas hill country.
I have run plugs and patches both."

Sounds like a good time to be had. Be safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts